The Morningside College Writing Center is an academic support service offering help at every stage of the writing process to members of the Morningside College community. The Writing Center is committed to individual writing development with the objective of providing useful feedback to all writers.
Our goal is to help you become a better writer! During a session, we might work on:
· Invention and Topic generation—brainstorm ideas/topics for an assignment
· Organization—offer suggestions on how to create connections within your paper
· Revision of drafts—help to reanalyze your paper for better support and flow
· Focus—provide assistance to focus your paper around a supporting thesis
· Editing Strategies—help build skills and strategies for sentence-level issues
· Edit, proofread, rewrite, or otherwise “fix” your papers
· Provide or discuss a grade
· Do your writing for you
Be prepared to participate, ask questions, and discuss. Writing consultants will discuss your writing with you, but will not do the work for you. You are expected to take an active role in the process.
· Syllabus or assignment requirements
· Specific goals for what you want to accomplish in your session
· Ideas and questions about your writing
· If you have something specific to work on, email the assignment to your consultant beforehand. Include:
-The assignment guidelines (please be as specific as possible)
-Any specific issues or questions you would like to address
To help students succeed at Morningside College, the Writing Center provides free workshops every semester on various topics such as using MLA and APA to cite sources, giving speeches and presentations, and applying reading strategies. All workshops are held in the Writing Center and are provided free of charge to students. No registration is required
Monday – Thursday
Click here to make an appointment
Walk-ins are also welcome!