Course Overview: Mohawk High School physical education department is based on the premise that physical activity and participation are important for all students, regardless of their level of athletic skill or ability. Through various activities, students in our program will learn how to incorporate physical activity into their daily lives. In addition, we hope to instill enjoyment of physical activity, as well as an understanding of the importance of maintaining physical fitness.
Gym, Locker Room, Weight Room, and Fields
1. Respect the rights and property of others
2. Follow directions
3. Be prepared for class – dressed appropriately with sneakers
4. No cell phones, headphones, make-up, food, drink (except water), or gum in the activity area
5. Keep your locker and locker room clean
6. Abide by the rules of the Mohawk handbook at all times during class
7. Have fun
Changing clothes for PE is important for good hygiene, performance and safety and promoting freedom of movement. Dressing appropriately for physical activity is an important lifetime habit. Participation in Physical Education shall require clothing appropriate to the activity, such as, athletic shoes (SNEAKERS), shorts, t-shirts and sweatpants.
* During cold weather, if we are in an activity that is outdoors, you can bring a sweatshirt or sweatpants to wear.
* If you forget your change of clothing or just don’t feel like dressing out, you will still be required to participate in the class, however, you will lose some points.
* All jewelry must be removed prior to PE activities, with the exception of stud earrings.
* Students are encouraged to wear deodorant
* Students are required to wash their PE clothing periodically.
1. Everyone will be issued a school lock (if not returned at the end of semester will be charged $5)
2. Every PE student must use school lock and any other lock may be subject to search and destroy.
3. Do NOT share lockers, you are responsible for your own locker and your own belongings. If you leave your items in someone else’s locker and they are absent, you will lose your points for the day if you do not dress out.
4. Be sure to keep your locker locked at all times. The locker room is not always locked or supervised and anything left open or sitting on the benches is not safe. Please lock your lockers during class and after class and double check that your lock is locked. The PE department is not responsible for your belongings – LOCK THEM UP!
1. If you are absent from a scheduled PE class you will need to do make-up work for missing the day to receive points for the day. You need to find an article about sports, nutrition, health or fitness, from a newspaper, magazine, online, etc, read it and write one paragraph (at least 5 sentences) summarizing what you’ve learned and how it relates to your own health and fitness. You will receive full credit once you turn in . Please make sure to cite your sources. This is to be done for each day absent (i.e. if you are absent for 3 days then you need to do 3 articles).
Evaluation Process - The following will be used to determine your grade:
A. Participation Points – each day of PE can be worth up to 19 points based on the grading rubric. The grading rubric is broken down 5 categories.
* Come to class (3 points)
* Dress out completely in the proper attire (4 points)
* Participate and Engagement (4 points)
* Social Responsibility (4 points)
* Skill Development (4 points)
B. Written Work – PE notebook, quizzes and tests
C. Grading Scale:
90 – 100% = A
80 – 89% = B
70 – 79% = C
60 – 69% = D
0 – 59% = F
Lack of activity destroys the good condition of every human being, while movement and methodical physical exercise save it and preserve it. ~Plato