CCP Program

What is College Credit Plus (CCP)?: Ohio’s College Credit Plus Program (CCP) can help you earn college and high school credits simultaneously by taking college courses from community colleges or universities.  The purpose of this program is to promote rigorous academic pursuits and to provide a wide variety of options to college-ready students.  Taking a college course from a public college or university through College Credit Plus is free.  That means no cost for tuition, books, and mandatory course fees.  If a private college or university is chosen, there may be limited costs.  Transportation and parking fees are not provided.

CCP Admissions RequirementsEach post-secondary institution establishes undergraduate admission criteria by which CCP applications are also evaluated.  While most post-secondary institutions prefer juniors and/or seniors for CCP participation, applications from students grades 7-12 are considered.  Use the links below to find the most current CCP admission requirements and information from these local post-secondary institutions within 30 miles of Mogadore Jr & Sr High School.

Walsh University       

Cost of CCP: Taking a college course from a public college or university through College Credit Plus is free.  That means no cost for tuition, books, and mandatory course fees. If a private college or university is chosen, there may be limited costs.  Transportation and parking fees are not provided.  Private colleges/universities may charge fees in accordance with law.  Students who qualify for the free/reduced lunch program may not have to pay private college fees.  Please talk with your counselor for details. 

CCP Impact on Grades:  Grades for any CCP student receiving a failing grade, improperly dropping from a course, improperly withdrawing from a course, or who is expelled can be negatively impacted.  Please refer to the College Credit Plus: Impact of Student Grades and Decisions to Withdraw provided by the state for more information.

 CCP Athletes: If you are a student athlete, you must remain eligible in accordance with the Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) bylaws.  To be athletically eligible, students must be passing five, one-credit courses or the equivalent per grading period with the high school and college courses combined.  Most CCP courses taken during a semester will equal one Carnegie unit, allowing students to earn more than the required five for athletic eligibility.  Please check with your counselor to ensure that the course work you are taking is compliant with the OHSAA Guidelines for Student Athletic Eligibility.may be responsible for reimbursing the secondary institution for the accrued costs of each CCP course affected.  Responsibility for transportation and associated costs rests with the student. 

 CCP Progress Reports: CCP students MUST provide the counselor with 1st and 3rd quarter interim progress reports certified by the University/Professor for each CCP course taken for the purpose of athletic eligibility, NHS eligibility, etc.  This must be remitted by the close of the grading period.  CCP Progress Reports are available in the main office and in the Counselor's Corner or downloaded here.

 CCP Notification: If a student is interested in participating in CCP, a letter of intent to participate must be submitted by the April 1 deadline. 

I'm interested.  Now what?


Webinars for Students & Families new

Please take a few moments to view these webinars for more information on important topics for the 2018-2019 school year! 

  • Talk with your school counselor.  Discuss your interest in taking college courses and how it fits in with your overall academic plan and career goals.
  • Prior to February 1, your district will provide information about the College Credit Plus program to all students in grades 6-11.  An informational session will be held and all colleges and universities within a 30-mile radius will be invited to attend before February 15.  If you cannot attend, schedule an appointment with your school counselor.
  • By April 1, return the Mogadore Local Schools College Credit Plus Program "CCP Letter of Intent to Participate" form to your school counselor.  After April 1, you will need permission from the school district superintendent to participate
  • You and your family should contact colleges for information, application forms, and criteria for acceptance into College Credit Plus.  Some materials are available from your high school counselor and at the college’s website.  You must go through the procedures established by the colleges/universities to apply to College Credit Plus and to enroll in the course(s).  You may have to take a college placement test to make sure you are college-ready.  A map showing all Ohio public colleges can be found here.  A map showing Ohio private colleges can be found here.
  • Prior to college class attendance, your high school counselor will assist you in determining high school course equivalency.

Student Athletic Eligibility

The Basics

1. Can I participate?

If you are an Ohio student in grades 7-12 you can apply for College Credit Plus admission to any Ohio public or participating private college. The college will admit you based on your college-readiness in one or more subject areas. Your school counselor can help you understand your options, deadlines, and how to proceed. You may not participate in the College Credit Plus program beyond your anticipated high school graduation date.


ORC 3365.02, 3365.03, 3365.033, 3365.04 

2. How can College Credit Plus benefit me?

College Credit Plus provides more options for you to pursue rigorous academic coursework beyond the high school classroom.  Under College Credit Plus, you can complete your freshman year of college or more, or explore college content that interests you.  Earning college credits while you're in high school can reduce the time and cost of attending college after high school.

3. Where can I take college classes?

Some college courses offered under College Credit Plus may be offered at your high school. You may also travel to the college where you have been admitted or enroll in one or more online courses offered by that college.

4. Will College Credit Plus grades appear on my high school transcript?

Yes. High school credit awarded for courses successfully completed under College Credit Plus will satisfy or exceed the graduation requirements and subject area requirements of the school district. Courses successfully completed under College Credit Plus must be listed by course title on the high school transcript. All College Credit Plus courses will be computed into the GPA using the same scale as Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate courses in your district, based on the common subject area - not curriculum -  of the weighted advanced standing class/course.

ORC 3365.12

5. Does a student have to be an Ohio resident to participate in College Credit Plus?

Yes, students must be Ohio residents to participate in College Credit Plus. For public school students, the student must be enrolled in a high school in Ohio so that the public school provides the funding from their “foundation” funds. Any student interested in enrolling in a public college or university must be considered a resident of Ohio as defined in state law. The college or university will verify that information with the student and family. Please see the following information for details on the Ohio statute and rules:

The funding associated with College Credit Plus is a combination of secondary school foundation funds (for public school students) and funds allocated from the Ohio budget (for nonpublic and home school students) and college/university state share of instruction (SSI). The CCP legislation addresses the state share of instruction (SSI), foundation, and state allocated funds in Ohio Revised Code 3365.07. Public colleges only receive SSI for Ohio resident students that meet law and administrative requirements as set forth in ORC 3333.31 and OAC 3333-1-10.

The CCP legislation does not exempt a student from the Ohio student residency requirements in Ohio Administrative Code 3333-1-10. Therefore, colleges/universities must verify Ohio residency for each CCP participant (as they do for all college students). If the student is not an Ohio resident based on “Rule 10,” then the student cannot participate as a CCP student. He/she can enroll but it would be outside of the CCP program. The colleges/universities have the responsibility to inform the student in advance of the need to either drop the course before the census date or to pay for the course on his/her own.


Added February 27, 2017

5a. What information is available for College Credit Plus as we plan for the 2018-2019 school year? new

For Public School Students, please review the Public School College Credit Plus Information Session presentation. Students will need to submit an Intent to Participate form. Your school district may have customized a form, or may be using this standard form “Intent” form.


Added October 5, 2017

High School-Related

6. My high school has a formal arrangement with a local college to offer College Credit Plus. Are those the only courses I can take?

No. After you are admitted to a college, you can take any courses offered by that college that you are college-ready to take. Also, each Ohio high school has developed two sample pathways – one leading to 15 credits and another to 30 credits. These should be included in your high school’s course offerings. However, students have no obligation to take courses identified on a pathway or to complete a pathway. Students  can take courses offered in person or online by any public or participating private college in Ohio.


ORC 3365.04, 3365.13
OAC 3333-1-65.1

7. How does College Credit Plus impact athletic eligibility? updated

If you are a student athlete, you must remain eligible in accordance with the Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) bylaws. To be athletically eligible, students must be passing five, one credit courses or the equivalent per grading period with the high school and college courses combined. Most College Credit Plus courses taken during a semester will equal one Carnegie unit, allowing students to earn more than the required five for athletic eligibility. Please check with your counselor to ensure that the course work you are taking is compliant the OHSAA.  


Updated June 28, 2017

8a. Is the college credit I earned in high school through CCP guaranteed to transfer to another posts econdary institution?

Thanks to Ohio’s Transfer to Degree Guarantee, many entry-level courses earned at an Ohio public college are guaranteed to transfer to any other Ohio public college. Credits earned at private colleges, or those that you want to transfer to an out-of-state institution, will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis by the institution you are seeking to attend. Go to the Ohio Transfer to Degree Guarantee website to learn more about credit transfer among the state’s public institutions of higher education. This tool allows you to find the best pathways to completing your degree and launching a successful career. Earning college credit will not affect applications for financial aid/scholarships limited to entering freshmen.

8b. When I apply to a public college or university, am I considered a first-time student or a transfer student? updated

Students who take college courses before graduating from high school are considered first-time students. Contact the colleges/universities that you attended while in high school to request official transcripts to be sent to your new institution so that completed courses can be evaluated for transfer credit.


Added 9/1/2017 

9. How are high school graduation requirements affected?

High school graduation requirements will not be waived as a result of participation in College Credit Plus. You will not receive a diploma until after the course is successfully completed and the graduation requirement is met. However, you may participate in the graduation ceremony if proof is presented that you are progressing satisfactorily one week prior to graduation.


OAC 3333-1-65.2

10. Is every student previously admitted to PSEO automatically admitted to College Credit Plus at the same institution? Does PSEO information automatically convert to College Credit Plus?

No. Students must reapply to the college(s) they wish to attend regardless of previous PSEO or dual enrollment experience. There is no conversion from PSEO to College Credit Plus.


11. What courses are available through College Credit Plus?

Once you are admitted to a college for College Credit Plus, you may take any course in the college’s course catalogue that is not remedial or religious, and that applies toward a degree or professional certificate, in a subject area in which you are college-ready. 


ORC 3365.12

12. What happens if I fail a class?

Classes failed or withdrawn with an “F” will receive an “F” on the high school and college transcripts and will be computed into the high school and college GPA. If you do not receive a passing grade, the district may, in some instances, seek reimbursement for the amount of state funds paid to the college on your behalf for that college course. The school district may withhold grades and credits received for high school courses taken until reimbursement has been made.


ORC 3365.09

13. Can I take courses during the summer?

The College Credit Plus Program includes courses taken during the summer term. The summer term will apply as the first term of the next school year. If you want to participate during a summer term, you must submit your letter of intent to participate early enough (between February 15 and April 1) to apply and gain admission to the college and register for course(s) in the spring. Many college summer terms begin in May.


ORC 3365.034

14. How do I earn high school credit by taking college courses?

College Credit Plus allows high school students to earn college credit and apply that credit toward their high school graduation requirements. Successful completion of a three or more credit-hour college course will result in 1.0 Carnegie unit earned at the high school. A two credit-hour college course will earn students 2/3 of a high school credit and a one credit-hour college course will convert to 1/3 of a high school credit. 


ORC 3365.12
OAC 3333-1-65.2

15. I thought that a public school student could take 30 credit hours each academic year. Why was my son/daughter told that he/she could only take a smaller number of credits this year? 

In order to determine the number of credit hours a student can take in a year, the secondary school must calculate the number of course credits that are for high school credit only and multiply that by 3. That number is then subtracted from the 30 hours. The result is the maximum number of credit hours a student can take in the College Credit Plus program. (This is based on a semester system.)

30 – (high school only credits x 3) = Maximum number of College Credit Plus credit hours

This calculation must be completed each year for a student as the high school credits may change. Also, students may only take a maximum of 120 credit hours in the program.

If students would like to take more than the maximum number of credit hours, the student can arrange to register and pay for those additional credit hours as a “self-pay” student. Those hours would be outside of the College Credit Plus program.

For more information on “self-pay,” please review FAQ #19 in Section C.


OAC 3333-1-65.2


Added April 3, 2017

Academic, Financial & Other Responsibilities

16. What are my academic and social responsibilities?

You will be expected to follow the rules and regulations set by the college/university. You will also be expected to follow the rules and regulations set for high school students detailed in the student handbook. Once enrolled, you are eligible to receive advising from campus-based support services of that institution. Additionally, you will continue to have access to your school counselor and all other resources available to high school students. Participation in College Credit Plus does not guarantee you admission to college after high school. You should follow the regular undergraduate application process for whatever college you plan to attend after high school.

17. Who pays for college admission, textbooks, required course supplies, and fees?

  • CCP students from public or non-public high schools who attend a public college are NOT required to pay for college course tuition, instructional tools, or supplies under any circumstances. Home school students are responsible for providing their own instructional tools ("books"), but not tuition or course-required supplies. Homeschool and non-public students must apply for College Credit Plus funding to pay for tuition. For more information, visit this website: (
  • Secondary (public and non-public/chartered) schools are responsible for providing instructional tools ("books") for their CCP students. The post secondary institution must waive fees for these students and is also responsible for providing supplemental supplies required by the course syllabus. 
  • Students choosing to attend a private college may be charged by that college, depending on where the course is delivered, and in accordance with state law. Although the amount charged to CCP students by a private institution may vary, in academic year 2017-2018 the maximum will be $158.76 per credit hour. (Reference ORC 3365.07) (updated July 10, 2017)
  • Students who qualify for the free and reduced lunch program may not have to pay costs to attend a private college. Please talk with your counselor for details.

  • A school district or nonpublic school may seek reimbursement from students/families under the following two circumstances: 1) If the student receives a failing grade at the end of the college course; or 2) If the student withdraws from or drops the college course subsequent to the 14th calendar day after the particular course began, unless the student is identified as being economically disadvantaged in accordance with Ohio Administrative Code 3333‐1‐65.6(B)(2).


ORC 3365.07, 3365.09

18. Is the post secondary institution supposed to bill the high school for books?

Yes. In some cases, colleges have created a voucher system for students to use to assure accuracy in the subsequent high school billing. Other colleges have made arrangements with high schools or districts to purchase an inventory of certain books at the high school for students to borrow during the course term.  
Since all supplemental supplies required by the course syllabus are provided by the college, some campus bookstores also have a way of tracking those purchases. 

  • Colleges and high schools/districts likely will have communicated and planned on behalf of their shared students. 
  • Colleges should communicate to CCP students if there is a particular purchase system in place with the student’s high school or district; or if notification of the student’s participation in College Credit Plus needs to be provided to the campus bookstore.  
  • High schools often rely on the college to provide the student the book from the campus bookstore, and then invoice the high school/district once the academic term begins.

19. Who provides transportation?

Responsibility for transportation rests with the student.


ORC 3365.034, 3365.08

20. If a student takes more than 30 credit hours in a year, what is the student/family responsible to pay?

Students who register for more than 30 credit hours will be responsible to pay for the entire course that placed them over the 30 hour limit. Because that class is “outside of CCP,” public institutions of higher education must charge their regular tuition rate, unless obtaining a Chancellor approved tuition waiver. It is very important to note that students must be informed of the fact that they are over the 30 hours prior to the course starting date. Institutions of higher education must inform the school of all student registrations with a pre-term notice at least 14 days before the course begins. Secondary schools must review the notice (or multiple notices if students are registered with more than one institution) to determine the number of hours for which a student is registered. If the student is over the 30 hours, the school must inform the student of the option to drop the course before the census date or continue with the course as a “self-pay” student at the regular tuition rate.

For institutions of higher education who want to offer a discounted rate for students, please see FAQ #20 in Section C for details on Tuition Waivers.


ORC 3365.04, 3365.05, 3365.06


Added April 3, 2017