This page is no longer being updated. For up-to-date information on this subject please visit https://sites.google.com/a/miamioh.edu/google-news/outlook-sync/installation-and-setup.
If you haven't already, sign in to your Google Apps account on the web at least once, to accept Google's Terms and Conditions. Next you will, install Google Apps Sync for Outlook on the computer where you run Outlook. Be patient when importing! It might be a few minutes before any data appears in Outlook. Importing and the initial synchronization can take up to several hours or more to complete (although you can begin using Outlook right away).
University owned machines are being managed by Microsoft Configuration Manager. Google Apps Sync for Outlook can be installed from Software Center, the client interface to Configuration Manager. Please use the following instructions to download and install the Google Apps Sync for Outlook tool.
How to install Google Apps Sync for Outlook via Software Center
Configuring Google Apps Sync for Outlook
1. After Google Apps Sync for Outlook is installed, you will be prompted for your Google account credentials. Enter your @MiamiOH.edu email address and password in the dialog box. Click Continue.
2. Google Apps Sync for Outlook includes a migration utility which allows you to copy Outlook Notes, Tasks and Journal entries to your Google Account. Select Import data from an existing profile. If you have more than one Outlook profile, select the Outlook Profile from the drop-down list.
3. Select Notes, journal entries, and tasks.
4. Click Create Profile.
The migration utility has been configured to limit import options for Email messages, Deleted messages, Junk email, Contacts and Calendars. These items have already been migrated for you.
5. You will see the migration process screen. Contacts, Calendar and Email will show "Processed: 0/0". Process indicators for Notes, Tasks and Journal entries are not displayed on this screen. You will be notified when the migration is complete. Click OK.
6. Click Start Microsoft Outlook to open Outlook.
7. Select your Google Outlook profile from the Profile Name drop-down and then click OK.
8. Outlook will open and a "Synchronization Status" window will display. You can click Close at any time to hide the sync progress. Google Apps Sync will continue to run while you have Outlook open.
Please note that the first time you run Google Apps Sync for Outlook all of your email, calendar and contacts will be copied from Google to Outlook. Depending on the size of your mail account, this could take several minutes to complete.
Be patient when importing! It might be a few minutes before any data appears in Outlook. Importing and the initial synchronization can take up to several hours or more to complete (although you can begin using Outlook right away).
You can now use Outlook as you normally would.
For personally-owned, or non-managed University computers, please use the following link to download Google Apps Sync for Outlook:
Next, you're prompted to create a Google Apps profile for use in Outlook. This step is also where you can import data from your existing Outlook profile to your Google Apps account, and set a few other options. You can import data directly from a Microsoft® Exchange profile (if you're using Exchange). Or export it first from Outlook as a PST file, and import that. You can also skip importing for now and import later instead.
You're almost done—you just need to wait for importing to begin and start Outlook.
After you create your Google Apps profile, a window appears where you can start Microsoft Outlook®, then synchronize with the cloud to begin using Google Apps.