|Advancing Educational Experiences for Boys and Girls in Candler County Schools
Post Office Box 21
Metter, Georgia 30439
Board of Education
210 South College Street
Metter, Georgia 30439 (912) 685-5713
We surpassed our goal of $30,000.00 during the 2016-17 "8 Days for Education" Fund Drive! Huge shout outs coming your way this morning!!!! After looking through the entire Bill Book for Junior Youth Assembly, it has come to my attention that THREE of our Metter Middle School students were chosen as bill authors for this year's Junior Youth Assembly. That is 3 out of 48 total chosen across the state of Georgia!! What an accomplishment!! Thank you to the Foundation for making this opportunity possible through your generous grant contribution and thank you parents for allowing your children to take part in this incredible learning opportunity!
| by Selby Cody Voss|
During the January board meeting of Candler County Board of Education, board members recognized retired teacher Vicki Lane for her time and dedication to enhancing the educational experience of local students through the Candler County Educational Foundation.
Dr. Nancy Norton, chairman of the Foundation, spoke fondly of Lane and her service with the Foundation.
“Vicki started at the very beginning as one of our members, and as a former teacher, she provided a wonderful insight to what was needed in the school system and what we could do to help,” Dr. Norton said.
Since its inception in 2006, Lane has served as a member of the educational foundation, and in acknowledgment of those 10 years of service, the board and other members of the foundation presented her with a plaque .
As a closing remark, Lane commented, “Thank you so much. I’ve loved all the memories I have, and though I’m going to make new ones, I’ll always cherish these.”
In other news of the meeting …
• The MIS Robotics Team, the Rockin’ Rookies, was recognized.
• The board introduced the new Archway executive, Catherine Muse.
• Financial reports were approved.
• Craig Lanier was re-elected as chairman and Rhonda Hendrix was re-elected as vice-chairman.
• The board re-elected Marc Bruce of Edenfield, Cox, Bruce, and Classens as board attorney.
• The 2016 board meeting dates and times were approved to keep the present schedule. Regularly scheduled monthly meetings are every third at , and board workshops are on the before at
• The December 2015 board minutes were approved.
• Various fundraisers were approved.
• Calendars for FY16-17 and FY17-18 were approved.