MDUUC Electronic Communications Policy
As Approved by the Board on 6/15/10
- The MDUUC Web Committee shall be comprised of three or more
committee members responsible to the board for overseeing the building,
maintaining, and posting of content to the MDUUC.org website, including
approving all major changes to the fundamental design or structure of
the web site. They will develop web related policies, both for the web
site and for other web related services and tools, such as Social
Networking (e.g. Facebook, Twitter), and will oversee any official MDUUC
presence online. The Web Committee shall act as a committee of the
- The mission of the web committee is to assure that the MDUUC.org
website presents an attractive and accessible introduction of our church
to the general public, and facilitates helpful and meaningful
communication among our members and friends.
- The Chair of the Web Committee will be approved by the Board of
Trustees annually and will be responsible for submitting an annual
budget request to the finance committee for required expenses.
- The Web Team shall be comprised of two or more members who will be
responsible for the development, maintenance and operation of the
MDUUC.org website and Announcement List. It will operate as a sub-group
of the Web Committee.
- A List Manager will be approved by the Board of Trustees annually
and shall serve as a member of the Web Committee. The List Manager will
work with the Church staff and committee chairs to keep the Announcement
List and all Church email lists - such as Board and committee lists -
up to date.
- Social Networking (such as Facebook, Twitter): Any official MDUUC
presence on these sites must be approved and overseen by the Web
Committee. Unofficial (personal) fan sites or groups should be clearly
identified as such, and should not use the MDUUC name or logo unless
granted permission by the Web Committee or Board.
- MDUUC Announcement List: The purpose of this list is to provide an
electronic reminder (via email) of upcoming events to members and
friends of the congregation for whom a valid email address is available.
- Submitted items for announcement should concern Church sponsored
events or activities with wide appeal, such as special events held at
the Church, Church sponsored fund raising events, memorial services,
denominational events, special worship services, programs, speakers,
musical or theatrical performances, or community events.
- Posting to this list will be restricted to the Ministers, Intern
Minister, Director of Lifespan & Religious Education, Administrator,
Board President and List Manager (for newsletter).
- Announcements should be limited to two announcements prior to the event and one follow-up announcement after the event.
- Announcements will be consolidated where feasible into one single
weekly announcement email. Occasionally it might be used to disseminate
emergency or time-limited messages.
- The general category of all List Announcements should be clearly
identified in the subject line of the email (e.g. – This Week at
MDUUC', 'Upcoming Memorial Service at MDUUC' ), and should always
include an 'opt out' instruction for recipients following the body of
- Church email lists: The List Manager will maintain all Church
related email lists used for internal Church related communications
among members of committees and groups within the MDUUC Church
community. For example:
- Requests for the formation of new lists require approval by any staff member or committee or council chair.
- The membership of these lists will be reviewed and updated at least
annually by the List Manager with appropriate committee chairs and/or
Content/ Safety Policies
Confidential information will not be displayed in public areas of the
MDUUC website. The following are examples of confidential information:
- Birth date, place of birth, ethnicity, home address, personal phone numbers
- Personal email addresses — in public areas of the web site only
mduuc.org email addresses will be allowed. An mduuc.org alias can be
created if needed by emailing the request to
- Social security number, credit card number.
- Personal health information.
- For minor children under no circumstance will the following information be posted on the website:
- Birth date, place of birth, home address, personal email addresses, personal phone numbers, last names
- Social security number, credit card number
- Personal health information.
- For adults under no circumstances will the following information be posted anywhere on the website:
- Social security numbers.
- Personal credit card numbers.
- To accommodate Members and Friends that do not have access to the
web, major events should also be published in the Beacon, Order of
Service, or other print media.
- All content should be compatible with our Covenant of Right Relationship, and:
- MUST NOT CONTAIN: pornography/adult material, hate or
violence-oriented material, material which supports racial intolerance,
advocates against any individual or group, has an insulting, obscene, or
degrading tone, or contains profanity. If the decision to exclude or
rewrite material is contested, the MDUUC Web Committee will decide what
- MUST NOT contain copyrighted material without the express written consent of the copyright owner.
- MUST NOT contain any content that violates any law, is considered
defamatory or libelous, or infringes on the legal rights of others.
- MUST NOT include a personal email message, letter or other correspondence, or a reply to one of these.
- MUST NOT include a photo or work of a child under the age of 18 that
has not been approved in writing by a parent or legal guardian. See
posted Permission to Publish form . All children’s names must be
submitted with the photo(s). The person providing a child's photo is
responsible for obtaining the permission and showing the Web Committee
adequate proof of this.
- Photos of adults may be posted, but must be removed from the site if requested by the person pictured.
- No items will be included for a profit making or non-church sponsored activity without approval from the Web Committee.
- Our publications cannot accept announcements that may jeopardize our
MDUUC 501(c) (3) tax exempt status. For example, the Church cannot be
perceived as favoring one political candidate over another, or trying to
enrich a candidate’s or elected leader’s campaign fund. When
politicians are scheduled to appear at the church, announcements to
promote such events must be reviewed and approved by the Secretary of
the Board or other designated person.