Mecklenburg County Schools Nutrition Guidelines
- Provide only low-fat and non-fat salad dressings.
- Provide only 2%, 1% and skim milk in breakfast and lunch program
- High-fat, high-sugar desserts will be limited to special occasions.
- Limit the number of high-fat, high-sugar a la carte items to 1 per student.
- Limit the number of deep-fried items offered in school menus.
- Promote participation in available federal child nutrition programs.
- Encourage students to start each day with a healthy breakfast.
- Increase participation in the breakfast program with activities and healthy choices.
- All food comply with state and local food safety and sanitation regulations.
- Encourage healthy snacks/treats served as refreshments during the school day.
- Consider student preferences in planning for healthy school nutrition.
- Provide regular professional development for food services staff.
- The Wellness committee will establish guideline for all beverages and snacks available in school stores and/or vending machines.
- Guidelines will be reviewed annually.
Click the attachment below to view USDA topics.