Park View High School
This course will utilize the standards set forth in the Virginia Standards of Learning for grade 11 English to implement rigorous instruction in the areas of writing, oral language, research, literature, and an overall goal of strong communication skills.
Plagiarism, Cheating, and Academic Integrity
Plagiarism is the practice of copying words, sentences, images, or ideas for use in written or oral assessments without giving proper credit to the source. Cheating is defined as the giving or receiving of illegal help on anything that has been determined by the teacher to be an individual effort. Both are considered serious offenses and will significantly affect your course grade. Please refer to the Student Code of Conduct booklet for additional information.
3 ring binder
1 set of dividers (5)
1 pack of 3x5 index cards
Pencils, pens, highlighters
Loose leaf paper
1 box of tissues
* Assignments throughout the course of the year may require additional materials (ex. Projects).
Expected Student Learning Outcomes:
· analyze and interpret various samples of writing
· demonstrate an understanding of the writing process and show progress in each area
· apply effective strategies and techniques in their own writing
· produce a variety of writing samples:
· demonstrate understanding and mastery of standard written English
· read and discuss a variety of materials:
o short stories
o myths, legends
o historical documents
o informational documents
· develop a presentation on a given topic to be delivered in front of the class
· use a variety of assessment tools to evaluate their work and the work of their peers
· demonstrate growth in vocabulary development
· incorporate technology into presentations and reports
A combination of lecture, class discussion, presentations, videos, cooperative learning, and project-based and problem-based learning will be used during this course.