The mission of the Maynard Special
Education Parent Advisory Council (SEPAC) is
to work for the understanding of, respect for, and support of all
children with special needs in the community. You can download our brochure by clicking on the link at the bottom of this page.
Click HERE for the Meeting Schedule
What is a SEPAC?
Massachusetts Special Education Regulations state that
each school committee shall establish a Special Education Parent Advisory Council (PAC) on
Special Education. A SEPAC is a formally organized group of individuals
committed to the best possible services for children with special
needs. A SEPAC:
- Promotes a network of parents and forum to share information
- Advises the school district on special education programs, training needs, and policy
- Promotes communication between PAC members; local, state and national organizations, councils and groups
- Promotes understanding, acceptance and inclusion within the community
- Provides informational forums for parents, students, educators, and professionals
Who Should join the SEPAC?
- Parents and/or guardians of children who receive any
type of special education services or accommodations in school, such as
an Individualized Education Program (IEP), a 504 accommodation, or
- Parents who think their child may have some learning issues or differences.
- Parents who would like to understand or have an interest in the Special Education process.
- Parents, educators, or any members of the community who want to learn more!
Why Get Involved?
- To network with other parents in the community.
- To share your own expertise and experiences with other parents.
- To learn about the services available for children with learning issues or differences.
- To learn to advocate for your child's needs more effectively.
When are the Meetings?
Maynard SEPAC meetings are held in the the Fowler School Library from 7:00 pm to 9:00
pm on the 1st Monday of each month.
Click HERE for the Meeting Schedule
To attend or for more information on meeting topics, contact one of the officers or parent representatives.
We welcome and need your participation!
How do I Join?
join the Maynard SEPAC, contact
your school's parent representative,
is searching for additional parents to participate in the new SEPAC
Sub-Committees: Meeting Planning, Public Relations, and Fundraising.
A committee member would be considered a SEPAC board
member, and would be asked to attend SEPAC
board meetings to determine the direction
of the SEPAC and what activities the SEPAC participates in (bi-monthly).
The Meeting Planning
Committee is responsible for
researching and choosing our guest
speakers and handling all arrangements for the
speaker to attend, such as information on the speakers, content of
their presentation, handouts and flyers
and ensuring that materials are available
in a timely manner to the Public
Relations Committee for Advertising and
The Public Relations Committee is responsible for advertising our meetings locally (newspapers, school
and promoting the SEPAC within our
community through school open houses,
school committee meetings, other school
sponsored events, town events, promotional
materials, and other ways to promote visibility and other opportunities
Committee is responsible for looking
at fundraising opportunities for the SEPAC
and what these funds would best be
utilized for from year to year. Opportunities such as applying for
grants, seeking donations, possibly
working with other school organizations and/or
officials on fundraising and determining special education, training,
or regular education needs as they relate
to students with disabilities or learning
You may also join the Maynard SEPAC Public Discussion group on Yahoo by going to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/maynardspedpac/
To receive emails about upcoming SEPAC events and
other local special education events, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and type "SEPAC
list-serve" in the subject line.