The Latest & Greatest
October 10-16 Common Formative Assessments
● By grade levels, teachers agree on an ELA and Math SHORT assessment they’d like to give to either check in on something they are teaching or to pre-assess something they are about to teach.
● This can literally be a 4-6 question assessment done with clickers and it does not need to be in Data Director. It just needs to be common to the grade level team. The dates are not fixed in stone, so you can fudge the window a little if you want.
October 23-26 Parent Conference Week
● All students receive a Progress Report. For many/most their report will just say, “meets grade level expectations at this time.”
● It is OK to print out the form (via Data Director) and say “See attached” if teachers want to add their own additional comments, etc.
● Progress Reports DO NOT have to printed out via Data Director this year unless you choose to do so. In coming years we may decide to make it mandatory because it becomes part of the student record we can all easily access.
January 10-25 K-5 Benchmark Window
● All teachers give the K-5 District-Wide Benchmarks. These were revised by grade level teams this summer.
● I will be sending out the revisions next month for teachers to give their final stamp of approval.
● These are as perfect as they are going to get. (Which, I realize isn’t perfect.) We are going to use them for the next two years, with no changes, until we switch to Common Core aligned assessments. At that same time the Report Card will change as well.
● In the coming years we may add an optional Performance Task to teach assessment.
December 21 Report Card Window Opens
January 28 Report Cards Go Home
March 4-8 Common Formative Assessments (see above, same drill)
March 18-22 Progress Reports for at-risk of retention students ONLY
April 29-May 3 Progress Reports for at-risk of retention students ONLY
May 10 Report Card Window Opens
May 20-31 End of Year Benchmark Window Opens
● In the past these benchmarks have been optional for 2nd-5th due to STAR testing and each site has set their own guidelines. Elementary Principals have not discussed this issue yet.
June 7 Final Report Cards Go Home
Entries for our Essay Contest Commemorating the 10th Anniversary of the September 11th attacks, "Honoring the Heroes and Remembering the Fallen" are due on September 7. Winners will be announced at the September 12th School Board Meeting. Please see the attached flyer for more information.