How do we remember the past?
How does can artistic expression help us understand an event?
How can individuals use art to express emotions and personal experiences?
In accordance with the study of the Holocaust and World War II, the eighth grade will create memorials to those deserving remembrance from this era.
• Research an event from WWII to plan your memorial
• The planning and creation of a three dimensional memorial related to WW II or the Holocaust including
• The writing of a final draft which explains the thought, planning, materials, construction process and symbolism of the memorial designed
• The writing of poetry based on the novel Night by Eli Wiesel
• Through writing, reading, audio, singing, and playing instruments students will learn about music of the 20th century. As a band students will play the song, "Sing, Sing, Sing", among others.
Standards, Strands, Skills (Students will learn, do):
- singing and playing instruments
- Memorial with Artist Statement
- Memorial and Event Research
- "Sing, Sing, Sing"
Essential Question: How can we express the past in French or Spanish?
Students will create a travel journal in French or Spanish that describes a trip to a region of France or a Spanish speaking country that was involved in WW II. They will resource war memorials in that area and include the history of the memorials and the area as well.
- Research of a French region or Spanish speaking country involved in WW II
- Understanding of and ability to write in past tense in French or Spanish
Standards, strands, skills:
- Reading Comprehension
- Writing in Past Tense
- Exchange of Information and Knowledge
- Understanding of Target Culture and History
French or Spanish travel journal