Liaison, reconnaissance, and light transport aircraft. Originally designed and built by North American Aviation, Ryan Aircraft obtained manufacturing rights and continued production until 1949. The aircraft type remained in service through the mid 1960s.
This particular L-17 was delivered to the 176th Infantry Regiment, Virginia Army National Guard, Washington DC on 18 February 1949, and transferred to the U.S. Army Field Forces in January 1951. On 05-05-1953 a repair tag was installed on the airframe from Far East Air Materiel Command 6400th Maintenance Group at SHOWA, Kisarazu A.B. Japan. It was returned from the Far East Air Materiel Command in 1955 and went on to serve with the Civil Air Patrol, Syracuse University ROTC (Air University) Elmira NY, 255th ROTC Detachment State University of Iowa, Iowa City IA, Strategic Air Command (flyable storage) Offutt AFB NE, and in 1961 Langley Aero Club, Langley VA. It was listed as destroyed in 1970 and sold as scrap. It was retrieved from a storage building 1993 and then went through a five year restoration, and at this time her military history was realized. In 1998 at her first airshow she received Best L-17 and a Silver Wrench Award from the Experimental Aircraft Association at Oshkosh Wisconsin, and Best Warbird at Oshkosh 98 from Navion Skies (one of two owners clubs). At Sun-n-Fun (Lakeland FL) in 1999 it received a fourth award.
Owner / Crew Chief: Bruce Balough
Crew Chief's Update (Restoration Progress/Aircraft Status):
Span: 33 ft. 5 in.
Length: 27 ft. 4 in.
Height: 8 ft. 7 in.
Weight: 2,950 lbs. loaded
Engine: Continental O-470-7 of 185 hp.
Crew: One (plus three passengers)