GUIDELINES FOR ICT INFRASTRUCTURE IN SCHOOLS
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS FOR PROCUREMENT AND SUPPLY OF ICT EQUIPMENTS TO SCHOOLS
1. Computer Specification
2. Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) Specification
3. Laptop Specification
4. Printer Specification
5. LCD/DLP Projector Specification
6. Local Area Network Design
All the Computer Rooms (12m x 10m) provided by Schools shall be networked for ease of sharing of digital resources. The following shall constitute Local Area Network Installation:
· Minimum of 20 Data Points in the Identified Room
· Cat6e Cable
· Neat trunking to be provided for all cables.
· Network termination points shall be done at walls or at benches.
· Two (2) 24-Port Switches to or One (1) 48-port Switch provided, minimum on 10/100 Mbps. They should be wall-mounted in a 9U Cabinet in appropriate location in the Computer Room (ventilation, minimal noise interference). Termination panels should be used at the Cabinet.
· Patch Cables (Cat6e) of appropriate lengths between network points and the computers in the room (3m – 5m).
7. Internet Connectivity
For purposes of enhancing teacher collaboration and possible cross-student project collaboration between schools, Internet provision is proposed with the following features:
· Minimum of 256/ 256 Kbps up/download capacity dedicated to each of the educational institutions.
· Inclusive recurrent cost of up to 12 Months.
· Support should be inclusive in the recurrent cost.
· Schools (under guidance of Identified ICT Specialist or Trainers) to choose Internet Service Providers (ISP) depending on availability, pricing and support.