Home‎ > ‎

About Us

History

The community of Mannsville was founded in the mid-1800s and received a U.S. postal designation in 1888, with Wallace A. Mann the first postmaster. The town name honored the Mann family. In 1898, as a result of the Curtis Act, Mannsville incorporated and held its first municipal elections.

In the early days, Mannsville’s population continued to grow. The community was serviced by the Argo Hotel, Jones Drug Store, Smith Drug Store, two banks, a telephone office, one school, four dry good stores, two blacksmith shops, one shoe shop, a depot, two barber shops, a movie theater, three churches, a gin, an oil and milling company, a newspaper, two doctors, and a photographer. However, the population declined rapidly as the Great Depression affected the area.

Mr. Byrd’s earliest recollection of Mannsville School was that of a small subscription school ran by Mr. Bain. It was the fore runner of the two story red brick building located on the site of the present school. The upper floor housed the high school, the auditorium, and the library. The grade school was on the ground floor while the home economics, shop, and lunch rooms were in the basement.

The present Mannsville School was built by WPA in 1937 after the original two story building was destroyed by a tornado in 1935. The tornado struck on a school day. Mr. Richter saw the storm brewing and herded all the children to the basement. He had them all singing church songs which could hardly be heard over the crying. All the windows were blown out and a 2000 pound bell was picked up and set right back down in the middle of the school building. Fortunately there were no serious injuries. After the disaster, the bell was relocated on the school grounds; and in bygone years it was the most desirable object for the young men of Mannsvile to steal on Halloween and place high atop one of the local businesses.

In the 1960s, the population count fell. In May of 1968, during commencement exercises, Mannsville Seniors sadly walked across the stage and received high school diplomas for the last time. It was a very sad day for the community of Mannsville who no longer had a high school.

Today Mannsville Elementary School is home to the Mannsville Tigers. Our district serves a diverse community of families. Approximately 100 students in pre-kindergarten through eighth grade attend Mannsville Elementary School. Our district is small enough for us to know our students well, but big enough to provide a safe supportive learning environment where all students can become lifelong learners and contributing members of society. We have awesome student, parents, and teachers who work diligently together to help every student be the best they can be.

One of the true landmarks of this small rural community located in Johnston County’s southwestern corner is Mannsville School. Our school and community motto is and will always be: 


Once a Tiger, Always a Tiger!”



ĉ
Mannsville Administrator,
Jul 27, 2016, 12:00 PM
Ċ
Mannsville Administrator,
Jul 27, 2016, 12:00 PM
Comments