The purpose of MEVOAD is to foster more effective state disaster response by incorporating the following principles of operation:
- Cooperation: creating a climate for cooperation, sharing, and meeting together
- Coordination: fostering common understanding, providing a liaison with public officials
- Communication: publishing and disseminating information
- Collaboration: work together to expand our ability to address the needs of the people affected.
- Education: increase member organization mutual awareness and understanding.
- Convening Mechanisms: arranging meetings, conferences, and training as necessary.
- Political Activity: encouraging effective disaster relief legislation and policy.