Please see attachments below, for more information about standards imposed by the Maine Association for Search and Rescue (MASAR) on all SAR unit members. All our riders must meet these "ground pounder" SAR certification standards in order to become certified for Search and Rescue of any kind under MASAR.
- Successful completion of BASAR (BAsic Search And Rescue) certification course and test
- Successful completion of IS-100.b test (Introduction to Incident Command System)
- Map/Compass and GPS Training
- First/Aid & CPR Certification
- Wilderness First Aid Certification (optional but recommended)
- Aerobic Fitness Test (2-mile walk with 25# pack in 30 min preferred)
- Other requirements as specified
Horse/rider teams must also meet a second set of standards, which are explained on our Horse Certification Requirements page.