Welcome to the MaineESP's Talk Science Professional Development for Professional Learning Communities! The resources contained on this site are adapted from TERC and The Inquiry Project's Talk Science professional development for teachers, and have been modified for use with MaineESP PLCs. Talk Science is a research-supported professional development program for teachers created by Dr. Sarah Michaels, co-author of Ready, Set, Science.
1. Read this research brief on the evidence supporting productive talk
2. Watch the MaineESP Talk Science Kickoff Webinar video
3. Find a MaineESP Talk Science Study Group in your area and join them
4. Or contact us about starting a MaineESP Talk Science Study Group in your area
The benefits to participating in the MaineESP Talk Science Professional Development are:
* Learn alongside your colleagues and feel supported as you try the Talk Moves in your classroom
* Learn 9 tangible Talk Moves that you can try in your classroom to improve student thinking and discourse
* Students love this kind of structured, productive talk...and the learning gains in science, math and ELA are proven through research
* This flexible program uses a blend of in-person meetings, independent webstudy and classroom practice
* For only 6 hours of your in-person time, you will receive 18 contact hours towards recertification (documented participants only)
* We pay "Science Resource Partners" to lead Talk Science study groups/PLCs
The links on the left provide all of the resources needed for a "Science Resource Partner" to lead the MaineESP Talk Science Professional Development for PLCs program in your area. To learn more about becoming a paid Science Resource Partner in your region or district, please visit the Maine Elementary Sciences Partnership website.
(If you are looking for self-paced, individual professional development on Talk Science, please visit TERC's Talk Science website).