W 8:45-12:30, Science 352
Experiments in Physical Chemistry
Authors: Garland, Shoemaker and Nibbler
Any reasonably recent edition will be fine.List of Experiments
- Course Description
This laboratory course illustrates concepts covered in CHY 373, Chemical Thermodynamics.
- Course Objectives
At the end of this course, you should be able to
- Evaluate and discuss experimental uncertainty.
- Create publication-quality lab reports.
- Review work submitted by your peers.
- Design experiments.
- Understand the chemistry behind the experiments you perform.
- Course Materials
The text is Garland, Shoemaker and Nibbler's Experiments in Physical Chemistry.
You should obtain a reasonably recent edition.
- Meetings and Announcements
- The lab meets in Science 352 (Portland), Wednesdays from
8:45 to 12:30, weather permitting. (Check the USM storm line,
780-4800, for cancellations.) Any changes to the schedule, syllabus,
etc. will be announced in class. You are responsible for all such
announcements, whether you attended class or not.
- Lab reports are due one week after the completion of each experiment. Guidelines for lab reports will be made available at the beginning of the course. These lab reports make up 80% of your course grade. You will review two lab reports from your peers, and the quality of your reviews
will determine another 10% of your grade. Finally, a subjective evaluation of your performance and attitude in the laboratory will complete the evaluation.
There is no schedule. Due to space and equipment limitations, there may be
several different experiments running concurrently. I will provide a list of
suggested experiments (check the Experiments link),
but you are encouraged to come up with other ideas.
- Students with disabilities
- If you need course adaptations or accommodations because of a
disability, please inform me during the first week of the semester,
after consulting with the Office of Academic Support for Students with
Disabilities, 237 Luther Bonney, 780-4706. For problems with writing or
study skills, make an appointment with the Learning Center, 253 Luther
Bonney, 780-4228, or the Counseling Center, 106 Payson Smith, 780-4050.
- Academic Integrity
- All students are expected to follow the academic integrity
policies that have been implemented by the University. If you need to
review the policy, you can visit the website for the Office of