School District #37 was created as a small district to save the village of Gretna in 1888. The first school to serve Gretna children was located across the road from the LaBorde cemetery outside Gretna. A two-story brick schoolhouse was constructed in 1898 south of Angus Street across from St. Patrick's Catholic Church. Its size was doubled in 1908, and a gymnasium was added in 1936.
As the village grew, so too did the school district. Through minor consolidation over the years and a major consolidation in 1958, the district has grown to its present size of 70 square miles.
Centrally located between
Lincoln and Omaha, the community uniquely weaves its large city ties with rural
character. These appealing
characteristics draw many families hoping to raise their children in a small
town atmosphere with a sense of community.
Back to www.gretnadragons.org