Photo 50B History and Aesthetics of Photography Since 1945 Section 832, Online
Photography DepartmentTeaching Schedule Fall 2015
Classes begin August 17th!
Photo 51 Beginning Photography Section 001, Mondays, 11:40 to 2:00 with a 40 minute lunch break
We are adding an additional section of Photo 50B. Still waiting for the paperwork to move through the pipeline. No add code needed. Class will begin on September 7th.
Photography 50B. History and Aesthetics of Photography Since 1945
August 17 to December 18, 2015
New section: September 7th to December 18th, 2015.
Classes Open on Monday, August 17th 2015 at 8:00am.
Please be sure to log in on Insight and complete the assignments asked of you by Saturday, August 22nd, 2015 at 11:00 pm in order to avoid being dropped from the class!
This course examines various aspects of photography, including photographers, photographs, and technical innovations, within their historical, social and cultural contexts. Although students will study photography as it has been applied to journalism, science, fashion, advertising, et cetera, emphasis will be on photography as art.
Recommended Prerequisites: ESL 140 or placement in 150 or completion of concurrent enrollment in ENGL90.
Credit: 4.0 units. Credit earned in Photo 50B is accepted for transfer to the State Universities AND the University of California.
Learning Outcomes: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a broad understanding of the history of photography from 1945 to the present.
2. Identify characteristics of works, movements, and chronological periods relevant to photography.
3. Identify important inventions and processes that contributed to the creation and evolution of photography.
4. Explain the connections between works of art and their social, cultural, philosophical, and historical contexts.
5. Analyze and discuss the ideas presented in the readings and lectures as part of the participation component of the course.
6. Synthesize information about works of art and convey it in written and oral form throughout the semester.
Textbooks for Photo 50B
RequiredPhotography: A Cultural History (fourth edition) by Mary Warner Marien
Criticizing Photographs (fifth edition) by Terry Barrett
Please make an appointment to visit Pier 24 before the end of September. Make a reservation at http://www.pier24.org/visit/index.php
You can also visit one of the photography exhibits at a gallery. No online galleries for the assignment.
Are you ready to take an online course?
Most students find that online courses are as challenging as on-campus courses. Online courses are not self-paced. Course assignments, quizzes and exams have deadlines.