City College of San Francisco Course Outline of Record
Course Title: Beginning Low 1
Course Number: ESLN 3100
VI B. Evaluation
1 Respond appropriately to short emergency warnings, commands and brief instructions.
2. Respond apropriately to simple questions on previously learned material
a. Personal information
b. General health and emotions (e.g. I’m feeling better today. I feel great.)
c. Dates, days, weather
3. Identify basic factual details in a simple conversation or recording
4. Participate in previously practiced conversations
a. Routine social phrases (e.g. introductions, greetings, leave-takings)
5. Talk about basic needs and routines
a. Explain how to perform a single action or task
b. Explain daily routine
6. Identify general topics in simplified reading material
a. Match label names to pictures of common items (e.g. food, clothing)
b.Identify labeled areas of a map or times on a schedule
7. Write a basic narrative based on a model
a. Write a simple 3-5 sentence description of a familiar topic (e.g. family)
8. Interact with other students in different activities
a. Participate in a simple dialog (e.g. clarification question and response)
Beginning Low 1
VI B. Evaluation
a. Respond appropriately to short emergency warnings, commands and brief instructions (“Stand up.” “Listen.” “Point.” “Go outside”).
b. Respond appropriately to simple questions on previously learned material. (“Where are you from?” “Where is the restaurant?”).
c. Identify basic factual details in a simple conversation or recording (“Who is she?” “Where is he from?”).
d. Participate accurately in previously practiced conversations (Introductions, greetings, personal information, time, weather).
e. Desribe daily routine, basic needs, general health and emotions (“I work at 11am.” “I need a class on Mondays.” “I feel great.”).
a. Identify general topics in simplified reading material(main ideas).
b. Match vocabulary words to pictures of common items (food, clothing).
c. Scan for basic information from a map or schedule(“Where is the school?” “When does the bus come?”).
a. Write simple sentences from dictation, models, visual prompts.
b. Write simple descriptive sentences on a familiar topic, based on a model (family, work).
Outlines at every level have been changed to the following organization:
VI. B. Evaluation (No change)
3. WritingOriginal Outline VI. B. Sections changed:
1. changed to 1.a. - examples added
2. changed to 1. b - examples added
(By combining the tasks and examples listed under 2-5, the subcommittee shortened the original outline into 1.c-e.)
2. a. incorporated into 1. d.
2. b. incorporated into 1. e.
2.c. incorporated into 1. d.
3. incorporated into 1. c. - examples added
4. a. changed to 1. d - "participate" changed to "participate accurately." "Routine social phrases" omitted, examples added.
5. incorporated into 1. e. "Talk about" changed to "describe."
5. a. "Explain how to perform a single action or task" - omitted
5.b. incorporated into 1.e.
6. changed to 2 a.- example added.
6.a. changed to 2.b. "label items" changed to "vocabulary"
6. b. changed to 2. c. "Identify labeled areas of" changed to "Scan for basic information from."
7. and 7a. omitted because it was felt that they were too difficult at this level. "description of a familiar topic (e.g. family)" moved to 3.b.
8. and 8. a. omitted because they seemed redundant or behavioral instead of pedagogical.
Reading activities added (HS)
Writing tasks were simplified accurately reflecting level (HS)