A pure tone Deaf instructor.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Mr. Potter is beginning his 2nd year of teaching at La Vernia High School. This year, Mr. Potter will be teaching ASL I, II, III, and IV.
He graduated from Lamar University with a Bachelor of Arts in American Sign Language with magna cum laude. He believes his students are learning about Deaf Culture and conversational ASL so they can apply it in the real world.
He is very excited to be your instructor this year!
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
First Bell: 8:25 am
1st Period - 8:30 - 9:17 ASL I
2nd Period - 9:22 - 10:09 ASL III and IV
3rd Period - 10:14 - 11:05 ASL II
4th Period - 11:10 - 11:57 ASL I
Lunch - 12:02-12:32
5th Period - 12:37-1:24 ASL II
6th Period - 1:29-2:16 Conference
7th Period - 2:21-3:08 ASL II
8th Period - 3:13-4:00 ASL I
- 7:30 - 8:20 Monday, Thursday and Friday
- 4:00 - 4:30 Monday and Thursday
- 8:00-8:15 and 4:00-4:15 Tuesday
YouTube link coming soon....
Those are ASL resources that you can use as study guides and/or to acquire knowledge about ASL, cultural information, and other deaf-related materials during the full school year. *Please keep in mind that any languages including American Sign Language is ALWAYS growing and changing over time. Any resources in regard to any language is NOT the “perfect” tool for learning since it is very challenging for any resources to keep up with today’s information. Also, you may see variation of signs due to regional dialects. When in doubt, ask the teacher first.*
Online Signing Dictionaries:
Signing Books provided in the classroom:
● Signing Naturally
● Master ASL
● ASL Book Dictionaries
Number and Fingerspelling Practices Online:
● www.asl.ms (fingerspelling)
● www.asl.bz (numbers)
Major Deaf/ASL Related Websites:
● www.nad.org (Largest and oldest civil rights organization for deaf and hard-of-hearing people across America)
● www.gallaudet.edu (First University for the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing students in the world)
● www.deafnation.com (founded by deaf brothers, Joel and Jed Barish. DeafNation, Inc. is the international leader in video content, news, coverage, social networking, and special events for the greater deaf and hard-of-hearing community.)
● www.d-pan.com (Founded by Sean Forbes, a Deaf musician who help to represent other Deaf musicians in the Deaf community.)
● www.wfdeaf.org (The World Federation of the Deaf (WFD) is an international organization representing approximately 80 millian Deaf people worldwide.)
● www.tsd.state.tx.us (Texas School for the Deaf)
● www.deafnetwork.com (Largest Deaf Community Resources and Newsletter in Texas and surrounding states. You can get FREE subscription to their email newsletters.)
● https://www.affordablecollegesonline.org/college-resource-center/deaf-student-college-career-advice/ (College resources for Deaf/HOH students)
● https://www.accreditedschoolsonline.org/resources/deaf-and-hard-of-hearing-students/ (Accredited Colleges for Deaf/HOH students)
San Antonio College
FALL SEMESTER 2018 ASL GAME NIGHTS
October 19th and November 16
Join them and pay a variety of games!
Location: Nail Tech Center
Room 120 A&B
Everyone is welcome to join the fun!
San Antonio College
The Department of American Sign Language & Interpreter Training
First Saturday of the month (2018)
October 6th and November 3rd
San Antonio College Library
Moody Learning Center (MLC)
Deaf Chat Social
Every 4th Friday of each month from 7:00 PM to Midnight
255 E Basse Rd #700
San Antonio, TX
Voice: (210) 828-3818
REMIND 101: then to 81010:
ASL I: @asliperiod
ASL II: @ad6bfk
ASL III/IV: @asl34per
ASL Club: @e722v68
I will try to send reminder text out to students about MAJOR activities, not necessarily daily grades that we have.