Someone will manage your money. It might as well be you!
Final Exam: Part 1 on Wednesday, May 16
Chapters 14, 15, 16, and 17 --- essays and short answers
Final Exam: Part 2 on Thursday, May 17
All second semester topics are possible.
List the major themes that spread across the top of several chapters and topics.
When assigned several of the themes; specifically attach each theme to several chapters.
Stock Market Game: http://www.marketwatch.com/game/crusader-pf8-investments
All students need to be active by March 8.
Market Watch Game:
May 1 update: Game Two has been established
1. Game Two runs from May 1 to May 10.
2. $100,000 start
3. Enter the game with a new strategy? same strategy with current prices?
April 27 update:
1. What has been your strategy?
2. What has worked well?
3. How many changes did you make? at what cost?
4. If you could start again, what would you do different?
5. Did you panic at any point?
6. Did you stay on the path that you selected at the beginning?
Chapter 17: Retirement Topics
0. Each student should view the ---> Download on 5/15 at 5 pm
1. Life Insurance but it does have [might have] retirement impact
3. Retirement: Suze Orman --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yguq-L6ArvA&feature=related
4. Retirement Calculator: USA TODAY http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/retirement/retirement-plan-calculator.aspx
5. Retirement Article: CNN MONEY http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/10/retirement/saving-retire/index.htm?iid=H_PF_News
6. Advance Directives: http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/forms/AdvDirectives/ADFormsPOA.htm
7. Will OR Living Trust [You Tube] : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2ZtgbS393U&feature=relmfu
Chapter 16: introduction began on 4/24
0. Each student should view the ---> Download on 4/29 at 7 am
Each student should do the work for sections 16-1, 16-2, 16-3, and 16-4.
Each student should view the first video for 4/25
1. Health Insurance 101 [YouTube]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi5a7kjDzh4
2. Life Insurance 101 [YouTube]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PkPGH8uiT4
3. Life Insurance [Death Insurance]: http://www.lifehappens.org/what-are-the-different-types-of-life-insurance/
4. After reading the text and viewing the three items above, do the following. Each student was given a Worksheet on 4/27. Half of the back page was done in class on the 27th. The remainder of the work is to be done for Monday, April 30.
5. Watch the Video: "Five Ways that Education Pays" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spNDLD2KRuA
Chapter 15: for the chapter Download on 4/24 at 8 pm
Home Owners Insurance 101 [You Tube]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ1MH7iCQrE&feature=relmfu
Car Insurance 101 [YouTube]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhH7CNHWlqo
This clip is a 7+minute summary of Chapter 15.
15-3--- 1-6 all
Homework given on 4/12:
Scan the following .pdf pages.
State of Wisconsin --- Office of Commissioner of Insurance: http://oci.wi.gov/pub_list/pi-015.pdf
1. See the chart on page 12; What is the difference between HO-2 broad and HO-3 Special?
2. From that same chart, discuss the thinking behind HO-8.
3. See Example #1 on page 22 and 23. Which location is most similar to your own setting? Which two or three insurance quotes would be at the top of your list?
4. Fill in the top half of page 21 --- this is the quote form for shopping for insurance.
15-2--- 1, 3, 4, 5, 6
15-1--- pg.507: 1-5 all
pg.511: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Home or Rent Insurance: BOTH have personal property coverage
Home Insurance: Structure, Temp. housing, Liability, and more.....
Car Insurance: Pay Less http://www.clarkhoward.com/videos/clarkhoward/cars/paying-less-car-insurance/vLF/
Tax Simulations: http://www.irs.gov/app/understandingTaxes/student/simulations.jsp
Tax Reform? [ March 27 article]: http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/27/pf/taxes/tax-reform/index.htm?iid=HP_River
State Taxes on Retirees: http://i.mktw.net/_newsimages/pdf/state-taxation-retirement-income-table.pdf
State Taxes on Income: http://i.mktw.net/_newsimages/pdf/MultistatPersonalIncomeTax.pdf
State Taxes on Income and Autos: http://i.mktw.net/_newsimages/pdf/StateTaxSmartChart.pdf
Adjust Tax Withholding???: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/03/19/the-real-reason-to-adjust-your-tax-withholding/
MSN Money: You should start saving now! http://money.msn.com/gen-x/why-you-should-start-saving-now-investopedia.aspx
Chapter 14: Taxes
IRS website [all forms]: http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/index.html
Instructions for 1040EZ form: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040ez.pdf
Chapter 12: Bonds and Mutual Funds
1. Friday, March 9: ESSAYS on the Chapter Test
See the complete list in Room 106. The list might change.
You are a professional giving advice to a client [yourself]:
Your client might be ___ years old.
Your client might be single or married with kids.
Your client might be conservative or a risk-taker in financial matters.
You might be asked to give support for or speak against these times:
mutual funds (stocks)
mutual funds (bonds)
2. Create a Marketing Piece for your own Mutual Fund: one page, 8.5 by 11 inches
How will you bring in the new customers?
Are you modeling after a known index?
Sector(s) that you will feature?
Cost to enter?
Other ways to be unique? ways to stand out in the crowd?
3. Get Conservative!!! Diversify as if you are CLOSE TO RETIREMENT and/or LOW RISK
80% of your $20,000 invested into Bonds [x3 funds]
Low risk; create sources of income
20% goes into non- tech companies [stocks] or mutual funds [x2 types]
Create a spread sheet to summarize
4. Chapter 12: written homework
HW 12-1: 6 and 8
HW 12-2: 5 and 7
HW 12-3: 4 and 7
HW 12-4: 5 and 7
Feb. 29: View the following video clip about company bonds
Note how they differ from company stock.
1. I want to do something good, but I do not want to lose money.
2. How does my portfolio change as I grow older? approach retirement?
3. How can I lose on bonds? bond funds?
4. Generalization: as stock values go UP, bond values go DOWN.
Friday, February 24:
1. Writing: From the computer lab, compare contrast two of the three given bond funds.
2. Compound Interest :George, Frank, Lisa, Toni, Rebecca
Risk Tolerance Calculator: http://www.kiplinger.com/tools/riskfind.html
Better Bond Investor: http://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/be-a-better-bond-investor/1.html
Investing Calculator: http://www.daveramsey.com/article/investing-calculator/lifeandmoney_investing/
Financing Life: http://www.financinglife.org/
Chapter 11: The Stock Market
"enter at your own risk; prepare for a change"
Homework Guidelines: Download on 2/15 at 3:30 pm
Feb 17: Report on Plan for the Rest of 2012 [via Two Articles] is due.
Feb 16: Chapter 11 Test: vocab, concepts, observations, stock selecting skills
Feb 15: Chapter 11 Review:
Create the graphic to organize the topics to this point. How does the mutual fund topic and stock market topic fit into your current picture? into your current plan?
2/15: JSOnline [Milwaukee] takes us to Morningstar: there might be a direct link?
2/09: Yahoo Finance: Time for a Sell-off? http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/time-prepare-market-sell-off-160829136.html;_ylt=Agjnk7Vf9yp8Oqvg3u1sp06iuYdG;_ylu=X3oDMTQzcHMybDlrBG1pdANGaW5hbmNlIEZQIEp1bWJvdHJvbiBMaXRlBHBrZwM2NGNlMzFhYi04ZTQyLTM4OWMtOTkxOC1iMjU2Mjg4ZjdmZmUEcG9zAzEEc2VjA2p1bWJvdHJvbgR2ZXIDOGY1ZjVhYjAtNTQwYi0xMWUxLWJmZTctYjg2ZWUwYzY0ZDJh;_ylg=X3oDMTFvdnRqYzJoBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3
Goldman's Big Ideas for 2012: http://money.cnn.com/video/markets/?iid=MKT_Sub
Moving Averages: 10 month? 12 month? http://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/charts/timing/SP500-MMA.html?SP500-monthly-10MA-since-1995.gif
The following applies to several topics of ours: mutual funds, stocks, bonds
Dave Ramsey: "How do I select a mutual fund?" http://www.daveramsey.com/index.cfm?event=askdave/&intContentItemId=122444&autostart=true&ectid=1202mytmmobtdrsjanuary_7
Morningstar INSTANT XRAY vision: http://portfolio.morningstar.com/NewPort/Free/InstantXRayDEntry.aspx?hnav=%20portinstantxray&dt=0.7055475
1. Because you are a nice person, you have just been given $10,000. The only stipulation is that you must select a single stock and place a purchase order on it in the next 30 minutes.
Chapter 10: Saving or Investing
January 25, 2012
This is a collection of articles and links that grab our attention.
2. Your life long spending habits are being shaped right now. Can you manage you choices: needs vs. wants?
3. Do you have a written set of smart goals? [simple, measurable, realistic costs , time frame, evaluated]
4. Can you explain opportunity costs in your own words? [evaluating options]
5. What questions do you have for 2012? This is a study of history, current events, math, and problem solving.
6. Financial Literacy: http://www.financiallitnow.org/index.shtml
7. AARP website help for teens and others: http://lifetuner.org/invest/
8. Money People changing their minds? http://manvsdebt.com/suze-orman-vs-dave-ramsey-should-your-financial-guru-be-changing-hisher-advice/
9. Kiplinger.com ---- Fund Finder --- http://www.kiplinger.com/tools/fundfinder/fundsearch.php
10. Vanguard Funds: [home page]: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/home
11. Vanguard Mutual Funds [data]: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/vanguard/all?reset=true&mgmt=i
12. Money.CNN.com --- Top 70 Mutual Funds: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bestfunds/index.html
13. Morningstar.com: http://www.morningstar.com/
14. CNN Money homepage [the world's largest?]: http://money.cnn.com/
15. USA Today --- Money: http://www.usatoday.com/money/index
16. Yahoo Fund Families listed [A to Z]: http://biz.yahoo.com/p/fam/e-f.html
17. Morningstar Fund Families [lower left hand corner; scrolling window]: http://www.morningstar.com/Cover/Funds.aspx
18. Types of Mutual Funds [Yahoo]: http://finance.yahoo.com/funds/types
19. Definitions: Large Cap, Mid Cap, and more http://finance.yahoo.com/funds/types/article/100613/Large-Cap_and_Small-Cap_Funds_Explained
20. Name with many capital letters: NYSE, NASDAQ, DJ30, DJIA, S&P500, and more
21. Kiplinger Fund Finder [second time in list]: http://www.kiplinger.com/tools/fundfinder/fundsearch.php
22. Dow Jones list [current]: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/cp?s=%5EDJI
23. Mutual Funds--- What are they?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky7GWCksyRg
24. Kip 25 [Kiplinger's top 25 no-load mutual funds]: http://www.kiplinger.com/investing/funds/kip25/tables/index.php
25. Kip 25 [.pdf file] on 1/24: Download on 1/24 at 11 am
26. The Mutual Fund Store: "Why Should You Invest?" -http://www.mutualfundstore.com/Content/Watch/Default.aspx?id=69&title=Why%20should%20you%20invest?#.TyCrn5hvW20
27. US News & World Report: 50 Best Funds --- http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/mutual-funds/articles/2011/06/01/50-best-funds-for-the-everyday-investor
Chapter 10: Download on 1/24 at 8 pm
slide one describes a searching process
slide two has the chapter homework
slides three and four show the mutual fund research for 1/23 and 1/24
slide five describes the detailed printouts for two funds.
slide six describes the Kip 25.
slide seven outlines the Test for 1/26.
updated on 1/25 at 7:20 pm
DUE on November 7: College Visits or College Rep. Meeting: Homework Items for the semester --- Attend and Report on 4 meetings with college reps when they visit LHS. An alternative to this would be to make 2 college visits [on the traditional campus] and report on your visit. In either case, a full set of specific details will be included in your report. Details can be found at this download: Download on 9/1 at 3 pm
College Rep Calendar at LHS: http://www.lutheranhigh.com/guidance/College%20Rep%20Visits.pdf
Chapters 8 & 9: Credit and Mortgages
Review: Download on 12/19/2011
Quiz [12/14]: Calculating Loans and Mortgages using the TVM Solver on the TI-83+
Quiz [12/16]: Short answers and essays from Chapters 8 and 9.
Homework List for 12/14:
Be able to operate the TVM Solver on the TI-83+: car loan and mortgage
page 233: 1, 2, 3
page 249: 1, 2, 3
page 258: 2
READ page 267: be prepared for each of the H.O.T. problems [nothing required as of now]
Go to page 275: see the chart
Go to page 281: see the chart
Go to page 301: see the chart
Many great ideas can be found at Mortgage calculator: http://www.goodmortgage.com/Learn/Decisions/
Podcasts [variety of topics]: The 12/12/2011 update centers on "Identity Theft Prevention" http://www.practicalmoneyskills.com/personalfinance/experts/practicalmoneymatters/radio/series.php
Loan Calculator: http://www.mlcalc.com/
Credit Card: Pay the Minimum? http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/managing-debt/minimum-payment-calculator.aspx
Chapter 7: Banking
Vocab list in class: Your top 5 items from Chapter list
Workbook intro Download on 12/5 at 8 pm
Textbook Notes: Download on 12/5 at 8 pm
Credit Cartoon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83wtyEqD1fc
How to Get Credit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEG4eTGUZos
Writing Piece for 12/6:
Read "Where to Stash Your Cash" Journal Article from Kiplingers, Jan 2012
Explore a current bank website information to know the local interest rates in the Sheboygan area.
Print out and attach a copy of the bank's current rate sheet.
What valuable information can be obtained from the article and the local information?
Should all investment money move to these accounts?
Is this good information for your Freedom Fund?
Emergency Fund? Write a summary paragraph.
Video Clips: on 12/1
How to use the checking account register: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUlQ_Bbsg44
Reconciliation [intro]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPRMUwGO4dg&feature=related
Reconciliation with outstanding checks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acC67UxmLJk&feature=related
Chapter 6: Consumer Purchasing and Protection
Vocab Quiz on 11/23
Homework--- 6.1 and 6.2: Download on 11/22 at 3 pm
"What would Clark Howard do?"
"Read the fine print and ask questions with somebody you trust."
For Tuesday, Nov 15,
Video summary "Mind Over Money" --- three key ideas from the video
page 168: #6 only --- three sentences for each of the products
FOUR PHASES TO A RESEARCH-BASE BUYING APPROACH:
1] setting goals; establish needs / wants 2] compare $$ and options 3] purchase [payment] options 4] operating and maintaining
Extended Warranties: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc9W1eKk5R4
FTC- Federal Trade Commission: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/consumer.shtm
Consumer Protection [NOLO]: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/consumer-protection
Kelly Blue Book [cars]: www.kbb.com
Edmunds [cars]: http://www.edmunds.com/
CNET [electronics]: www.cnet.com
Amazon reviews: http://www.amazon.com/
Chapter 5: Money Management
"Take care of your money or it will leave you."
HW: "Oh by the way, prepare for A CHANGE!"
HW: Create a DECEMBER Spending Plan [copy and paste; then balance the December plan] by 11/2 at 3 pm
HW: Personal NOVEMBER Spending Plan should be ready by 11/2 at 3 pm.
HW: Cash Flow Description [.pdf]: Download on 10/26 at 8 pm
For CASH FLOW HW: Excel Spending Plan: http://www.mdmproofing.com/iym/products/spending-plan/
HW: Hand in section 5.2 on 10/27: 1-6 all
For the week beginning with 10/24:
Ch 5: Download on 10/24 at 7 pm
For 10/25, make a simple list of your personal assets and liabilities.
Chapter 4: Career Searching or Job Searching?
Zig Ziglar: "If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time."
For the week beginning with 10/17:
TEST on Thursday, 10/20: Chapter 4 [from Oct 5 to Oct 20]
Mentoring Hand-out: Three types of mentoring are introduced/discussed. Take any two of them and apply them to the profession of your choice. What mentoring aspects would you be looking for in the phases of your career? Use the article for some of your insights. Due on 10/20
Re-write A. Robbins video from a Christian perspective. Due on 10/20Read pages 101 to 113. Do the questions on page 113: 1 to 9 due on 10/18
questions added on in class: 10 to 15page 113 help: Download on 10/19 at 3 pm
Be prepared for the vocabulary list in Chapter 4.
Begin your cover letter for the career-starting interview [final draft] due on 10/19
Bring your resume up to date: due on 10/19
In-class discussion: Over-Trained: Is this possible? [no written answer required]
Hand in on 10/14:
1.Read pages 88 to 100: answer the questions on page 100
2.Filling in the W-4 form
3.Cover Letter Disasters
It's Your Money SPREADSHEET [free]: http://mdmproofing.com/iym/products/cash-flow-budget/
D.Ramsey: Total Money Makeover: https://www.mytotalmoneymakeover.com/promotions/goal-tracker.html?ectid=1110cnlextra_10
Cover Letter Disasters [RD]: http://www.rd.com/slideshows/10-cover-letter-disasters-that-wont-get-you-an-interview/
Resume Templates and Guidelines: http://www.resumetemplates.org/
Top Ten Websites for Financial Planning [an opinion]: http://www.whatsmyscore.org/blog/?p=1083
What's My Score?: http://www.whatsmyscore.org/
Practical Money Skills: http://www.practicalmoneyskills.com/
Anthony Robbins: Clarity and Purpose: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Af4QLc2vhs&feature=related
Review item found on 10/7: [Time Value of Money] http://www.practicalmoneyskills.com/personalfinance/experts/khanacademy/index.php#anchorTop
Chapter Three --- You and your plan
Chapter Three Test on Tuesday, Oct. 4.
Section 1 notes: Download on 10/3 at 3 pm
Section 2 notes: Download on 10/3 at 3 pm
On 9/30, viewing these video clips will supplement the text in Chapter Three. These clips will help you respond to essay questions on the test.
Clark Howard 1: Retire before age 50? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZx26puITOg
Saver or Investor?
Ramsey 2: "Financially Successful" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b--HwXE3064
Ramsey 3: "This is America!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=b-pI0SD1JpI
HBR Blog Network: "Trust Is Disappearing!" a handout in class Read the article and elect three of more quotes form the piece. State your agreement or disagreement with the author. What other insights do you have from your Christian perspective?
Zig Ziglar: "If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time."
a Wise Person: "If you do not know where you are going, any path will take you there."
In class on 9/29, view the video clips below [Ramsay, Orman, Mayhem]:
Mayhem: DO YOU HAVE A PLAN TO INCLUDE THESE THOUGHTS?
HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED FINANCIAL MAYHEM?
Write a sentence or two about disaster planning.
Summarize Ramsey in five sentences. Quotes? Top Item? Describe Ramsay with three descriptive words.
Summarize Orman in five sentences. Quotes? Top Item? Describe Orman with three descriptive words.
Dave Ramsey 1: "Setting Goals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzfhKEMWuCY&feature=related
Suze Orman: "Can you afford your life?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8ijhbKISdA
Mayhem: Do you have a plan? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-DW9JBzyS8
Your BUDGET ---- Free Excel Spreadsheet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgIgmr25oPc
Malaysia on page 80--- FPAM: http://www.fpam.org.my/fpam/
Homework for 9/30:
1. visit the FPAM website; find the FAQ list
2. List the six steps of the FPAM Financial Planning Process
3. Define Financial Planning and describe the role of the planner
4. See page 80 in the text: respond to questions 1 and 2
Department of Labor website: Statistics --- http://www.bls.gov/
Article #4 for 10/4: OCCUPATIONAL OUTLOOK: Use the above site [www.bls.gov] to research three careers: personal banker, your choice #1, and your choice #2. Compare and contrast your findings in a 2-page summary. [turnitin.com] ; see textbook page 64
1. outlook in five years?
2. possible changes?
3. things to consider?
"So you really don't have a plan!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbl_hzSiK8M
"The Crisis Hits Italy" video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EssovQP3hO4
Greek Austerity link: http://money.cnn.com/video/news/2011/09/12/n_stiglitz_europe.cnnmoney/ posted 9/14
World Market link: http://money.cnn.com/data/world_markets/asia/ posted 9/13
Article #3: Start with the handout in class on Tuesday, 9/13: " Five Problems with Euronation". Select one concept, nation, company or bank out of the article. Created a one page summary from a legitimate news article covering the topic. What can be learned from the article that you selected? Submit your summary to Turnitin.com.
Article #2: Download on 9/7 at 3:15 pm
Article #2 for Thursday, 9/8: Globalization--- Follow the handout in class to select a website for a global company and then analyze the website for specific characteristics. Reflect on the rubric for assessing this article assignment.
News Article on 9/7/2011: Planning Major Cities [software] http://www.fastcompany.com/1778514/open-source-program-released-to-redesigning-tomorrows-cities?partner=homepage_newsletter
News Article on 9/3 --- Solo Car by VW: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/09/volkswagen-vw-nils-solo-electric-car-concept/1
News Article on 9/3 --- Change Your Prices: http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/220158?loc=interstitialskip
News Article on 9/2/2011 --- Justice Department says NO to Merger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWVeOWeqWkw
News Article on 9/2/2011 --- Tablet at $700, Get One? http://www.fastcompany.com/1777654/why-htc-700-jetstream-tablet-cant-compete-with-apple-ipad?partner=homepage_newsletter
News article on 9/1/2011 --- Buy a TV Show? via Apple and iTunes? http://www.fastcompany.com/1777373/apple-dumped-099-tv-show-rentals-so-it-can-change-television?partner=homepage_newsletter
HW [page 25: 1-7 all] After reading Section 2 of Chapter 1, respond to these items for Friday, Sept. 2.
HW Economics Intro: Good? Bad? T.B.D.? Both? for 8/23 Download on 8/24 at 8:20 pm
Article #1 for Friday, August 26: Search the current media and news sources for an article that speaks to the topic of Economics. Obtain a copy of the article. Summarize the article [1/2 page]. React to the article from the stance of in favor, not in favor, or explain your lack of decision [1/2 page].
Personal Finance - Semester 1
Textbook: Personal Finance
by Kappor, Dlabay, and Hughes
Glencoe - McGraw Hill, 2012
--- units are subject to change ---
Economics Overview: [current events and impact on us]
Unit 1: Career Decisions
Careers and Outlooks for the future
Get the Job
Keeping the Job
Unit 2: Money Management
On the job pay, benefits, and perks
Federal Income Tax
Budgets and Record Keeping
Banking Activities and Decisions
Unit 3: Financial Security
Investing: Stocks and Bonds
Investing: Mutual Funds
Retirement and Estate Planning
Unit 1U.S. Bureau of Labor Occupation Outlook: http://www.bls.gov/oco/
Job Web: http://www.jobweb.com/jobmarket.aspx
Dave Ramsay: http://www.daveramsey.com/home/
My Money. gov: http://www.mymoney.gov/
Jump Start Coalition: http://jumpstart.org/
Personal Finance Literacy: http://personalfinanceliteracy.com/
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel