Download a copy of the Lowell Family Favorites Cookbook, originally published in 1977!

Click Here

Celebrate Lowell with new tees, hoodies and stickers available HERE.

Lowell Community Organization
is the Parent Teac
her group at
Lowell Elementary School

LCO's Mission: Build community
Offer educational/learning opportunities to parents
Support school projects & enrichment activities through         fundraising

Meetings are Held:
The 2nd Tuesday of every month at 5:30 pm in the Lowell Auditorium

You can also join us online.
Join the LCO Google groups:
Simply send an email to

To post something to the group after joining, simply send an email to lowell-community@googlegroups.com.

Join the discussion on Facebook as well!

A brief history:

January 3, 1916: The school opened its doors as New Irving School for the first time to students living on the East Side of Madison. During the early years it was known as “East End School.” It was renamed Lowell Elementary in that first year. 
1916: The school had eight classrooms surrounding a central gymnasium and enrolled 411 students. 
1927: A nutrition room and solarium on the third floor were added to serve the educational needs of students suffering from tuberculosis. By the late 1920s, enrollment was just short of 1,000 students. 
1931-32: Lowell had a junior high and taught 981 students.
1932-33: The school started a track system where students were placed in classes by their abilities.
1934-35: Diseases disrupted the school year: scarlet fever, mumps, chicken pox and others kept kids from school. Next year there was a remedial learning program with many students repeating grades.
1939-40: The school was open four nights a week and the community used it for the PTA, a mothers group, study groups, sewing classes, scouts, city recruiting and as a library.
1940-41: With World War II in mind, the school celebrated “The American Way” as its annual theme -- “the model democratic spirit, living with others, in peace and harmony, working for all.” Lowell took part in the war by having air raid drills, students purchasing bonds and stamps. The 5th and 6th grade studied the war.
1947-48: The Wisconsin state centennial was observed with a pageant. The 5th and 6th grade choirs sang for the State PTA convention and made a record for the movie, Central School.
1961-62: TV was first used as a teaching medium.
1969-72: The school underwent major remodeling. The old gym was turned into a Modern Instructional Materials Center. The old office became a work room and a conference room. The old library became a suite of offices.
1975: A playground committee was formed and plans for the new construction were put into action. The new playground was constructed during summer 1975, by Lowell parents, with many materials donated by area businesses. The school forest was constructed.

Interviewees: Principal John Burkholder and LCO member Kim Neuschel are available at certain times before and during the weekend.

Contact: Jason Waller at jaywal75@gmail.com or 608-689-5948