Welcome Friends in the Blueberry Hill community and beyond. It's hard to keep up with technology and even harder to keep up with the students that we serve! We have so many new things to share and people to thank:
- BHS PTO: for 4 sets of Lego Mindstorms kits. We are building robots that can move, clean up and draw. Pictures coming soon! Visit TIES in March 2017 for some hands-on demos!!
- LEEF: for our Fab@School makerspace. With our 3D printer and digital cutter, the world of fabricating design has opened up. We will be embarking on our journey of design later today. The students are super excited and so am I!
- the NHL!: A wonderful Blueberry family pointed out the new website Future Goals! Sponsored by the NHL and built by everfi.com, this program takes STEM concepts and problem solving (science, technology, engineering and math) and applies it to hockey. This website gives challenges about geometry, potential and kinetic energy, states of matter. Our fifth graders have gained so much in this experience
- LEEF: for our Stationery Studio. Giving our littlest hands the opportunity for keyboarding and word processing. We have been making letters and poems and truly giving the professional touch.
- Tufts University: Their year-long program has given me a whole new outlook as to how to teach engineering concepts to elementary level. Our kids are gaining insight and practice into the engineering design process.
So, an update on what's been happening. Come back soon for more!
WIN TECHNOLOGY ACTIVITIES
third grade: Stop Motion, Trusses, Gumdrop Houses
fourth grade: Design and Build within constraints, Squishy Circuits
fifth grade: mindstorm vehicles
Our little berries are bursting with energy and enthusiasm. Our creative side is showing with MoMa Art Lab.
Green screen weather reports are so much fun. ScratchJr. builds the computational skills we need!
The room was buzzing with bee-bots and now we are word processing our thanksgiving poems.
We started the year of right, getting right into our Google Accounts. We now know how to log in, send appropriate email, stay safe online and even make amazing Google Slideshows. Come back and see our slides on Plants.
Fourth graders amaze me with their abilities - and skills! Google Earth lets us visit famous landmarks, go back in time and even check out the best route for trick or treat!
Hands-on STEM is coming their way - looking for amazing solutions to my challenge next week. Thankfully, the NHL Future Goals program and Monster Physics iPad app helped us develop scientific and engineering to blast us!
So much to learn and explore!
"New" Favorite websites:
NHL Future Goals
"New" Favorite iPad apps:
Charlie Brown Thanksgiving
Scratch: PlayDay Programming
Please note: While every precaution has been taken to ensure the external links to other websites are safe and age-appropriate, please review carefully all Internet material before sharing with your child.