Frequently Asked Questions



When should I keep my child home from school?


Consider keeping your child home if he/she:

·         Has a fever of 100.1 degrees or higher

·         Has been vomiting

·         Has symptoms preventing him/her from participating in school, such as:

o    Excessive tiredness or lack of appetite

o    Productive coughing or sneezing, inability to consistently cover cough/sneeze

o    Headache, body aches, earache

o    Sore throat

o    Rash


Keep your child home until his or her fever has been gone for 24 hours without the use of fever reducing medication.  Colds can be contagious for at least 48 hours.  Although your child’s presence in school is important, returning to school too soon may slow the recovery process and expose others unnecessarily to illness. 


Do I need to notify school personnel if my child will be absent?


Yes.  Please call the Health Office to report any absences.  If the nurse is not available, you may leave a confidential message.  If your child’s attendance pattern is affecting school performance, I may contact you to discuss a plan to ensure maximum school attendance while addressing your child’s individual health needs.


What do I do if my child will need medication during the school day?


A Prescriber’s Authorization Form (doctor’s order) is required for any medication that is to be given at Center School.  This  includes prescribed and over the counter medications, eye drops, cough drops, hydrocortisone creams, sunscreen, etc.  The form must be signed by your medical provider (Physician, Physician’s Assistant, APRN, Dentist, or Optometrist licensed to prescribe medication in accordance with state law.  Please note that orders cannot be accepted from a Naturopathic Doctor).  You can download and print the required form from the forms library.


Can I send in medication to school with my child?


Medication cannot be sent to school with a child.  It must be delivered to the school nurse by an adult.  Medication must be delivered in the original container/packaging.  Prescription medication must have a current and complete prescription label from the packaging pharmacy.


What do I do if my child has an injury or illness and cannot participate in Physical Education (Gym) or Recess activities?


It is expected that students will arrive at school available to learn and ready to participate fully in all activities within the school day.  If your child has an injury or illness that prevents full participation, communication from your medical provider is required specifying activities that must be modified or avoided. 


Will my child need a physical exam yearly?


A physical exam is required before the start of preschool and/or kindergarten, or if your child is entering school in Connecticut for the first time.  The entry physical must have been done within 1 year prior to your child’s starting school date.  An annual physical is not required, but one may be requested if your child has medical issues that require school planning.  If your child should receive any immunizations, please forward the update to the school nurse. Forms are available in the Main Office or in the Health Office at Center School. 


Can you talk to my child’s doctor directly about his/her health or school matters?


I can contact your medical provider directly to discuss required school immunizations, questions regarding active medication orders, and questions related to your child’s physical exam (blue form).  Any other communication will require a parent or guardian’s written permission.