MT. ARARAT HIGH SCHOOL NEXT STEPS
March 8, 2017
The Mt. Ararat High School Building Committee is pleased to share with the public the next steps and long-term schedule for the Mt. Ararat High School. The next year will be spent obtaining permits and preparing Construction Documents for the contractors who will compete through a public bidding process in March 2018. More specifically, the next phases of work are as follows:
· The architects will prepare a higher level, more detailed plan to incorporate the details of the educational specifications and public feedback from the subcommittees and public meetings which have occurred over the last year.
· The architects and interior designers will be meeting again with the key stakeholders including teachers, custodians, coaches, and kitchen personnel to finalize space layouts including lighting requirements, material finishes, mechanical and electrical systems, as well as IT and security systems.
· The architects and engineers will be preparing site permit applications for the Town of Topsham, Maine Department of Environmental Protection, and other governmental agencies.
· The architects and engineers will be preparing an early site construction package for the baseball field and two smaller practice fields so this work can commence in the summer of 2017.
· The Building Committee and its’ subcommittees will continue to meet monthly throughout the next twelve (12) months to review detailed design, specification and material selections.
· The Construction Documents will go through a quality assurance/quality control process in January and February 2018 before they go out for public bidding.
· Construction is expected to start in April 2018 with construction occurring in two phases. The first phase will be to build the new high school. The second phase will be to demolish the old high school and build the new track and competition field.
· The building is expected to be ready for the beginning of school in fall of 2020 with anticipated completion of the track and competition field being the end of year 2020. These are tentative projected dates.
There are still opportunities for volunteers who want to help with the project. Call the district office if you would like to volunteer or if you are looking for details.