1. Check Survival Pack pages from last week.
2. Read Chapter 11.
3. Complete and submit all Survival Pack pages from last week. I'll be checking pages 19, 22, 24, 27, 28, and 31(chapter 10 entry only).
1. Read Chapter 12
2. Open Part 2 discussion questions below. Answer numbers 1-7.
HW: Read Chapter 13
1. Submit 3 charts from Goodreader.
2. Review for HG Part 1 test tomorrow.
Test: Hunger Games part 1
*Starting part 2 of The Hunger Games.
1. In your HG Survival Pack, do pages 19, 22, and 24. You have 30 minutes to work on these.
2. Go to page 27 in your Survival Pack. The sub will give you all the definitions for part 2.
1. You have 15 minutes to add the vocab definitions to your ibook.
2. Read Chapter 10 as a class.
1. After reading chapter 10, add any characters discussed to the Part 2 character chart on p. 28 of your Survival Pack.
2. P. 31 in Survival Pack has Facebook Status Updates. Choose either Katniss or Peeta and write a status update for Chapter 10.
3. Start reading chapter 11.
**I will check all of this on Monday.
1. Review Chapters 1-6
2. Read Chapter 7
3. Complete the Chapter 7 activity on page 21 of your survival packet. It compares the skills Katniss and Peeta show in training.
1. Review skills chart from yesterday.
2. Read Chapter 8.
1. Open the PDF below (in Goodreader) with review questions for Part 1 of The Hunger Games. Answer any questions that refer to chapters 1-8. (We will be reading chapter 9 tomorrow)
- *All answers need to be complete sentences. The more complex your answer, the better our review discussion will be and the better you will do on the Part 1 test next week.
- *I will check your work at the beginning of the period tomorrow. The only questions you should leave blank are 13-15.
1. Find the chart on symbols in your HGSurvivalPack. Fill in the information from bread down to the woods. I will check this tomorrow when we discuss it.
2. Read Chapter 5
3. You will have a quick quiz tomorrow to check that you read.
Monday: Get The Hunger Games on your iPad (we'll do this together).
Hunger Games Introduction to the author and novel: Open the PDF below in Goodreader. This PDF will take us through the whole novel.
1. Open the "Glory and Hope" PDF in Goodreader.
2. In your groups, read the paragraphs you are responsible for and highlight the similarities and differences you find to the "I Have a Dream" speech. Highlight similarities in green and differences in red.
3. The sections are as follows:
- Group 1: Paragraphs 1-4
- Group 2: Paragraphs 5-8
- Group 3: Paragraphs 9-12
- Group 4: Paragraphs 13-18
- Group 5: Paragraphs 19-30
4. When you finish, you will share with the class so they can highlight the similarities and differences on their document.
Holiday: Martin Luther King, Jr.
1. Go to Easybib.com in Safari and login with Google
2. Create a new project for your Commodities project in Ms. Bigelow's class.
3. Add the sources you used for your project, create as a Google Doc, and add to the last slide in your presentation.
4. Finish Invictus.
1. Complete the discussion in Canvas "Invictus Reflection."
2. Complete your news blog post for this week.
Continue project from Friday. Today you should finish titling your sections in the "I Have a Dream" speech and completing the Scribe Worksheet.
You will submit the assignment that corresponds with your job and it will count for your group. The group leader needs to make sure all the group members submit the assignments correctly. You should have a total of 3 assignments submitted by the end of the period:
1. Complete Scribe Worksheet and submit in Canvas.
2. Open your Civil Rights ibook to page 5.
3. Choose one of the "key quotes" and write a blog post response. Make sure to think about:
- Why you think King included this idea
- How the quote adds or detracts from the speech
- How the quote makes you feel
- If the examples he gives in the quote have changed (for better or worse)
4. HW: Research in preparation for tomorrow's class discussion:
- South Africa
- Nelson Mandela
1. Review the 5 vocab terms, as these will be on your test at the end of the unit.
2. Answer the "Critical Thinking Questions" for "I Have a Dream" in Canvas.
1. Look up Apartheid, South Africa, and Nelson Mandela and complete the discussion "Apartheid
and Nelson Mandela" in Canvas.
2. Class discussion about apartheid.
Begin watching Invictus, watching for:
- Examples of the differences between the way black and white South Africans lived.
- Things Mandela did to bring the country together that others didn't understand.