Film & Broadcast Magnet Program
Sierra Middle School Film & Broadcast Magnet proudly offers the following:
- A course specializing in the development of film and broadcast journalism to include TV, Radio and Web.
- Participate in the production of a daily live television newscast.
- Develop and produce films, news and weather, investigative reports, documentaries, music videos, talk shows and animated shorts.
- Experience a variety of communication-related careers through visits from guest speakers.
- Film & Broadcast magnet students will have various opportunities to shadow working media professionals.
- Extensive work with K*STAR, the first middle school radio station and deejay training program in the district.
- Deejay school dances as well as school and community functions.
- Participate in interesting field trips to newspaper offices and radio and television studios in our area.
- Visit working studios and sound stages in Los Angeles, California.
- Visit various higher education film and broadcast programs including NMSU, University of Southern California, University of Arizona and UTEP.
- Learn the fundamentals of digital photography and digital photo editing software.
- Have the opportunity to produce stories to be submitted and aired on Channel One News.
- Produce the Sierra Middle School yearbook.
- Participate in an award winning program that includes awards at the Organ Mountain Film Festival, Desert Light Film Competition, Arizona International Film Festival, Brannigan Library Student Film Competition, City of Las Cruces PSA Competition, Student Television Network National Competition and Phoenix Film Festival.