CS Safety Committee Meeting 5/16/19

This page serves as the meeting Agenda. Minutes are added in boldface font.

ATTENDANCE


INTRODUCTIONS


SAFETY ITEM OPENER 

May is skin cancer awareness month. Health Services is sponsoring a brown bag talk on Dermatology tomorrow at noon in the B50 auditorium. Look for the ABCDE signs of melanoma, and if you see one or more, make an appointment with a physician immediately. 

  • "A” stands for asymmetrical. Does the mole or spot have an irregular shape with two parts that look very different?
  • “B” stands for border. Is the border irregular or jagged?
  • “C” is for color. Is the color uneven?
  • “D” is for diameter. Is the mole or spot larger than the size of a pea?
  • “E” is for evolving. Has the mole or spot changed during the past few weeks or months?
  • CATS (corrective action tracking system) Issues 

    One open corrective action for Facilities to improve lighting on street near B72 and Centennial overpass.
    5/16/19 status: this corrective action is now overdue. 

    SAARs (Accidents)

    Accidents since last meeting 3/21/19:
    4/22/19: blurry vision, eye condition. Disclosed to Health Services during exit process. Employee reported this was a pre-existing condition.

    WPC AND TRAINING

    1/30/18 status:
    Total in DivisionAssigned AcceptedOpt OutAssigned not AcceptedUnassignedTraining CompletedTraining IncompleteTraining % Incomplete
    Div Ofc251780026482.94%
    CRD3371991332318361728.57%
    NERSC13412013011591503.05%
    SND61501100678233.28%
    Note the change in total in Division for CRD. Between July and yesterday the number dropped from 406 to 337. Question: is this from purging Affiliates who are not really here? Betsy: not sure. 

    4/4/18 status: 
    Total in DivisionAssigned AcceptedOpt OutAssigned not AcceptedUnassignedTraining CompletedTraining IncompleteTraining % Incomplete
    Div Ofc2416800251103.83%
    CRD35919913122518821607.84%
    NERSC138115100101566432.67%
    SND67501163738263.40%
    4/4/18 discussion: we're doing well on training completion. We are showing a lot of Unassigned staff. This is because all the summer hires are showing up as unassigned, even though they don't start for months. There is no easy way around this.

    6/5/18 status:

    Total in DivisionAssigned AcceptedOpt OutAssigned not AcceptedUnassignedTraining CompletedTraining IncompleteTraining % Incomplete
    Div Ofc241680026493.30%
    CRD387208126242919852119.61%
    NERSC154125162111666533.08%
    SND68561110757324.06%

    8/1/18 status:
    Total in DivisionAssigned AcceptedOpt OutAssigned not AcceptedUnassignedTraining CompletedTraining IncompleteTraining % Incomplete
    Div Ofc231580025593.41%
    CRD37222512311421311978.46%
    NERSC151128162111700764.28%
    SND67541111741415.24%

    1/17/19 status:

    Total in DivisionAssigned AcceptedOpt OutAssigned not AcceptedUnassignedTraining CompletedTraining IncompleteTraining % Incomplete
    Div Ofc2215520223125.11%
    CRD3562201204420041577.27%
    NERSC156120162181709573.23%
    SND70581200781232.86%

    3/21/19 status:
    Total in DivisionAssigned AcceptedOpt OutAssigned not AcceptedUnassignedTraining CompletedTraining IncompleteTraining % Incomplete
    Div Ofc221740123552.08%
    CRD37822212742520201838.31%
    NERSC1601241324191752894.83%
    SND70601005802273.26%

    5/16/19 status: 

    Total in DivisionAssigned AcceptedOpt OutAssigned not AcceptedUnassignedTraining CompletedTraining IncompleteTraining % Incomplete
    Div Ofc252050027593.17%
    CRD417230128114820702079.09%
    NERSC172134262101834603.17%
    SND81601004907262.79%

    SELF-ASSESSMENT

    1/31/17 status: We will access two areas:

    • controls in the Wang Hall computer and mechanical areas
    • telecommuter office ergonomics. 

    The telecommuter office ergonomics portion of the assessment will be performed jointly with other Divisions at the Lab.

    10/31/17 status: Betsy working on the assessment for Wang Hall computer and mechanical areas. 

    1/30/18 status: Working on the assessment for Wang Hall computer room (removed mechanical from the assessment). Finally working with two other divisions on the telecommuter office ergonomics. Staff who have a home ergo evaluation should have received a survey this week asking about it. For 2018 we are combining with several other divisions on an assessment of the Lab's Emergency Preparedness. 

    Discussion: Scott Mason will join the group working on emergency preparedness. We review the draft Plan. What is covered? Right now we can add to the plan items that we think are important. Lots of other divisions had concerns after the August 2 event with lockdown, fire, and evacuation. Concerns: rescue boxes are being taken away and replaced with shipping containers. There is one at B88. We don't know who has access to these. For months before the December evacuation the PA in all of the 50 complex didn't work. Then suddenly it did. Jeff B: perhaps because Mike Carreon is now checking it?

    4/4/18 status: Submitted the controls assessment. 

    6/5/18 status:working on the emergency preparedness assessment. Discussion: Helen asks where the nearest emergency supplies are. Scott: B88 parking lot. Betsy: but we don't have access to the container. Tonya will text the access code to people if there is an emergency. Scott update: she is willing to say the code on the radio, and CERT members can get access to the disaster boxes (with pry bars, cribbing, and shoring). Betsy: but who has a radio during an emergency?

    8/1/18 status: Still in progress. B50E person joined the BET and was unclear about BET role. No sweeping allowed. Only crowd control and accountability. Confusion about how you would do accountability if you cannot sweep.

    1/17/19: Working on emergency preparedness for FY19.

    5/16/19 status: no change. 

    SAFETY WALKAROUNDS

    6/15/17 status: no change Betsy action: create a Google form.

    7/31/17 status: no change. Betsy action: create a Google form.

    10/31/17 status: Will start up FY18 walkarounds soon.

    1/30/18 status: need to start walkarounds.

    6/5/18 status: no change.

    8/1/18: Betsy to do with groups. 

    1/17/19: Helen completed CRD FY18 walkarounds with Betsy. Jeff Broughton did NERSC spaces. Susan/Patty/Betsy did ESnet.

    5/16/19 status: no change. Aiming for FY20 for next set of walkarounds.

    SAFETY ISSUES

    5/16/19 status: 

    Photos here.
    Parking B50 complex and B59 
    We should not use the access to the plaza area at the north fan deck for parking. During the 50A/50B pergola project Facilities trucks have been parking here. (NERSC employee pointed out that we routinely have trucks parked in front of the NO PARKING sign).
    Delivery trucks should not park in front of the main 3rd floor entrance it is a fire lane.
    The Pergola project has changed the access to the G1 lot under 50E. A Computing employee scraped their car against the K-rail at this area. Betsy will send updates to B59 users so they will be aware of the need for caution in this area.
    Electrical safety
    Aaron Garrett removed a Mac charger from the 3101 podium. The charging cable sheath plastic covering completely gone. 
    Same NERSC employee who reported the parking issue also noted a frayed cord at the floor box in 59-4112 ( the phonebooth closest to break room). Jeff Grounds to check. 
    Lisa 

    ISSUES FROM PREVIOUS MEETINGS

    5/16/19 status: 

    ROUNDTABLE


    Comments