CS Safety Committee Meeting 3/21/19

This page serves as the meeting Agenda. Minutes are added in boldface font.

ATTENDANCE


INTRODUCTIONS


SAFETY ITEM OPENER 


CATS (corrective action tracking system) Issues 

One open corrective action for Facilities to improve lighting on street near B72 and Centennial overpass.

SAARs (Accidents)

Accidents since 1/17/19:
02/12/19: Pain in upper arm, bilateral. Computer ergonomic injury which was OSHA recordable.
Betsy Action remind staff to wear gloves when working in the cabinets. Still need to remind staff.
Discussion: 

WPC AND TRAINING

1/30/18 status:
Total in DivisionAssigned AcceptedOpt OutAssigned not AcceptedUnassignedTraining CompletedTraining IncompleteTraining % Incomplete
Div Ofc251780026482.94%
CRD3371991332318361728.57%
NERSC13412013011591503.05%
SND61501100678233.28%
Note the change in total in Division for CRD. Between July and yesterday the number dropped from 406 to 337. Question: is this from purging Affiliates who are not really here? Betsy: not sure. 

4/4/18 status: 
Total in DivisionAssigned AcceptedOpt OutAssigned not AcceptedUnassignedTraining CompletedTraining IncompleteTraining % Incomplete
Div Ofc2416800251103.83%
CRD35919913122518821607.84%
NERSC138115100101566432.67%
SND67501163738263.40%
4/4/18 discussion: we're doing well on training completion. We are showing a lot of Unassigned staff. This is because all the summer hires are showing up as unassigned, even though they don't start for months. There is no easy way around this.

6/5/18 status:

Total in DivisionAssigned AcceptedOpt OutAssigned not AcceptedUnassignedTraining CompletedTraining IncompleteTraining % Incomplete
Div Ofc241680026493.30%
CRD387208126242919852119.61%
NERSC154125162111666533.08%
SND68561110757324.06%

8/1/18 status:
Total in DivisionAssigned AcceptedOpt OutAssigned not AcceptedUnassignedTraining CompletedTraining IncompleteTraining % Incomplete
Div Ofc231580025593.41%
CRD37222512311421311978.46%
NERSC151128162111700764.28%
SND67541111741415.24%

1/17/19 status:

Total in DivisionAssigned AcceptedOpt OutAssigned not AcceptedUnassignedTraining CompletedTraining IncompleteTraining % Incomplete
Div Ofc2215520223125.11%
CRD3562201204420041577.27%
NERSC156120162181709573.23%
SND70581200781232.86%

3/21/19 status:
Total in DivisionAssigned AcceptedOpt OutAssigned not AcceptedUnassignedTraining CompletedTraining IncompleteTraining % Incomplete
Div Ofc221740123552.08%
CRD37822212742520201838.31%
NERSC1601241324191752894.83%
SND70601005802273.26%

SELF-ASSESSMENT

1/31/17 status: We will access two areas:

  • controls in the Wang Hall computer and mechanical areas
  • telecommuter office ergonomics. 

The telecommuter office ergonomics portion of the assessment will be performed jointly with other Divisions at the Lab.

10/31/17 status: Betsy working on the assessment for Wang Hall computer and mechanical areas. 

1/30/18 status: Working on the assessment for Wang Hall computer room (removed mechanical from the assessment). Finally working with two other divisions on the telecommuter office ergonomics. Staff who have a home ergo evaluation should have received a survey this week asking about it. For 2018 we are combining with several other divisions on an assessment of the Lab's Emergency Preparedness. 

Discussion: Scott Mason will join the group working on emergency preparedness. We review the draft Plan. What is covered? Right now we can add to the plan items that we think are important. Lots of other divisions had concerns after the August 2 event with lockdown, fire, and evacuation. Concerns: rescue boxes are being taken away and replaced with shipping containers. There is one at B88. We don't know who has access to these. For months before the December evacuation the PA in all of the 50 complex didn't work. Then suddenly it did. Jeff B: perhaps because Mike Carreon is now checking it?

4/4/18 status: Submitted the controls assessment. 

6/5/18 status:working on the emergency preparedness assessment. Discussion: Helen asks where the nearest emergency supplies are. Scott: B88 parking lot. Betsy: but we don't have access to the container. Tonya will text the access code to people if there is an emergency. Scott update: she is willing to say the code on the radio, and CERT members can get access to the disaster boxes (with pry bars, cribbing, and shoring). Betsy: but who has a radio during an emergency?

8/1/18 status: Still in progress. B50E person joined the BET and was unclear about BET role. No sweeping allowed. Only crowd control and accountability. Confusion about how you would do accountability if you cannot sweep.

1/17/19: Working on emergency preparedness for FY19.

SAFETY WALKAROUNDS

6/15/17 status: no change Betsy action: create a Google form.

7/31/17 status: no change. Betsy action: create a Google form.

10/31/17 status: Will start up FY18 walkarounds soon.

1/30/18 status: need to start walkarounds.

6/5/18 status: no change.

8/1/18: Betsy to do with groups. 

1/17/19: Helen completed CRD FY18 walkarounds with Betsy. Jeff Broughton did NERSC spaces. Susan/Patty/Betsy did ESnet.

SAFETY ISSUES

Electrical bus bar incident in B59 computer room December 31st. Per Jeff Broughton at the NERSC All to All: Scaffolding is put up. That will commence tomorrow. We will also perform testing on the remaining sections of bus bar to see if they sustained any damage.  The replacement sections on bus bar on order and should be coming some time next week via FedEX. 

1/17/19 discussion: Jeff Broughton describes the incident: 5:25 a.m. Dec 31st, a 1200 amp 480 volt bus bar blew up. The smoke sensed by the VESDA system triggered a building fire alarm. The system shut down AHUs as it was supposed to. However this caused the room to start heating up. Operators did not evacuate until instructed by the Fire Department. Laurel asks cause of the incident. Jeff B: cannot investigate the bus bar as it was incinerated but could have been dirt on the insulation, a factory defect, or even vibration. Many issues involved including do we need heat detection. NERSC working with Facilities to add thermal trips (at 200 degrees F) on each row. Scott Mason: in that case ESnet should add shutdown at 180 degrees F to allow a graceful shutdown before the hard shutdown at 200 degrees. Implications for 2265. Betsy action: work on SOP for fire response. Operators need clear, concise instructions.

ISSUES FROM PREVIOUS MEETINGS

7/31/17 status: Training for any potential BET members this Wednesday. 
8/31/17 status: Betsy put in work order for 50a 4th floor mens' room toilets flushing too vigorously.
10/31/17 status: Terry reports the toilet is still flushing too vigorously. Betsy to put in another work request.
1/30/18 status:
6/5/18 status: Helen: seismic bracing? 
Parisa: check stair step height on stairs from B50 museum entrance leading towards the IGB. The small set of steps if you take the side route to the bench. -Betsy checked, steps seem fine except lowest step is too tall. It would be difficult to fix this, and probably not a good use of funds since this location is almost never used.
Scott: the bar at the top of the steps in B59 lobby, leading to the compute level. Intended to prevent emergency egress to the compute level. But the concern is that it would be easy to trip over. - Betsy emailed Jeff Broughton
1/17/19 status: No change
3/21/19 status:

ROUNDTABLE

Jeff Grounds: lights in front of B59 (the tall lights) keep getting hit. If one of these lights ever gets knocked over and wires are exposed, it is a 277 volt hazard. Also tread on the metal expansion joint covers on the plaza in front of the building is deteriorating. Betsy action: work request for FAM Quang Tran to replace. 3/21/19 status: tread grit material replacement completed.

James Lee: lights in front of 50 always dim. Jeff Grounds says it was all dark today on the south side. Betsy: these lights should be motion sensitive so you would expect them to be dark until you walk or drive into the garage.
Comments