Grants - application narratives and
budgets, progress and final reports
- "The Digital Landscape: The Hawaiian Newspapers and
War Records and Trust Territory Image Repository of the University of
Hawaii" by James Cartwright, Martha Chantiny, Joan Hori, and Karen
Peacock. First Monday: a peer-reviewed journal on the Internet, volume
5, number 6 (June 2000), URL:
- "Development of the Windows-based CARL Cataloging Workstation
at the University of Hawaii at Manoa Libraries", article in Library
Software Review, v. 12, no. 1 (Spring 1993), pages 12-21
- "Incorporating Digitized Images in the UHCARL PAC Online
Catalog", in Library Software Review, v. 12, no. 1 (Spring 1993), pages
- "Implementing a LANtastic CD ROM Network", chapter in Library
LANs: case studies in practice and application, edited by Marshall
Breeding, 1992, pp. 92-105
- "List of questions to consider when selecting CD products"
contributed to "Selection Policies" in Management of CD ROM Databases
in ARL Libraries, SPEC Kit #169, November/December 1990, pages 35-37
- "ImageServer for a Visual Resources Library" co-presenter,
material contributed to workbook prepared for the Voyager Users Group
Meeting (VUGM), April 2001, 7 p. (100% of the cited 7 page workbook,
50% of the oral presentation)
- "Sharing History: Digitizing a Micronesian Photograph
Collection - a 2-day pre-conference workshop" co-presenter at the
Pacific Islands Association of Libraries and Archives (PIALA) 10th
annual conference, November 2000 (50% of the oral presentation)
- "The Digital Landscape: The Hawaiian Newspapers and War
Records and Trust Territory Image Repository of the University of
Hawaii" co-presenter (with 2 others) at the IMLS Conference "Web-Wise:
A Conference on Libraries and Museums in the Digital World", March
2000, PowerPoint presentation (33% of the oral presentation. The
PowerPoint presentation is the base material from which the published Digital
Landscape article was derived)
- "Digitized Hawaii/Pacific Archives via Electronic Databases"
co-presenter (with 2 others) at the 15th annual meeting of the
Association for Asian American Studies (AAAS), June 1998 (33% of the
- "Effectiveness of Electronic Notices vs. Mailed Notices"
co-presenter, material contributed to workbook prepared for the CARL
Systems, Inc. Annual Users Group Meeting, September 1997, 12 p. (100%
of the cited 12 page workbook, 50% of the oral presentation)
- "Use of Patron Placed Holds" co-presenter (with 2 others),
material contributed to workbook prepared for the CARL Systems, Inc.
Annual Users Group Meeting, September 1997, 44 p. (7 pages of workbook
material, 33% of the oral presentation)
- "CARL Inventory Control" UHCARL Colloquium, 1996, 5 p.
- "Creating the CARL Connection" session co-presenter , Hawaii
Library Association (HLA) Conference, March 1994 (50% of the oral
- "PAC Usage Statistics at UHCARL" contributed to workbook
prepared for the CARL Systems, Inc. Third Annual Users Group Meeting,
September 1993, 23 p.
- "Digitized Images from the Trust Territory of the Pacific in
the UHCARL PAC Online Catalog at the University of Hawaii Libraries"
contributed to Information Technology, IT's for Everyone! : Proceedings
of the Library and Information Technology Association (LITA) Third
National Conference, September 1992, edited by Thomas W. Leonhardt,
- "Revisiting Bib. Maintenance A.111 and Overview of the
Catalogers Workstation" contributed to workbook prepared for the CARL
Systems, Inc. Second Annual Users Group Meeting, September 1992, 12 p.
- "Bibliography of Information Relevant to Library Computer
Systems Administration", handout for Systems Administration Workshop,
Hawaii Library Association Conference, 1988, 12 p.
- "MultiPlatter Installation at the University of Hawaii",
presented at the American Society for Information Science (ASIS) 1990
Mid-year meeting, Microcomputing in the 1990's: Unlocking the Power,
May 1990, 10 p.
- "A Database in Transition: the evolution of the Windward
Community College Library Hawaii Pamphlet File Database" - co-author
(50%) with DeEtta Wilson; in Proceedings of the Mid-Year Meeting,
American Society for Information Science (ASIS), May 11-14, 1986 (50%
of the oral presentation)
Internal Reports and Other Unpublished
- Proposal to scan, convert, and make web-accessible
2,000 pages of contemporary documents on the "Hawaii Annexation
Question", request to be submitted to Student Equity, Excellence, and
Diversity (SEED), 30%, November 2001
- Project To Create and Expand Digital Databases for Three
Collections in the University of Hawai'i at Manoa Libraries, 2-year
grant funded, Institute for Museum & Library Services (IMLS),
50% application, 80% reports, 1998-2000. [$100,438.00 awarded September
28, 1998.] See http://libweb.hawaii.edu/hnp/IMLSgrant.htm for further
- Digitization for Preservation of an Important Hawaiian
Language Newspaper - Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Hawai'i Committee for the
Humanities (HCH), 50%, funded 1999. See
http://libweb.hawaii.edu/hnp/hchgrantapp.html for further information
- Proposal to purchase microcomputer equipment for the
Libraries at Maui Community College and Kauai Community College and
Education Centers at Molokai, Lanai and Hana (county of Maui), Student
Equity, Excellence, and Diversity (SEED), funded 1999, 50%. [$7,635.00
awarded.] See http://libweb.hawaii.edu/hnp/report3-seed.htm for further
- Proposal to make available selected, heavily used Hawaiian
language newspapers on the World Wide Web (WWW), Student Equity,
Excellence, and Diversity (SEED), funded in 1998 and 1997, 50%.
[$2,270.00 awarded - Phase 2, $7,188.00 awarded - Phase 1.]See
http://libweb.hawaii.edu/hnp/intro.htm for further information
- Proposal to fund CD ROM workstation for Kauai, system-wide
subscription to journal index database to support Manoa
Outreach/Distance Education program, assisted Head of Public Services
with Alternative Delivery Fund Grant, 1994, 20% (funded)
- Proposal for Partial Support of Science/Technology
MultiPlatter LAN, Alternative Delivery Fund Grant, 1992, 50% (funded)
- Library and Information Services Support of the University of
Hawaii at Manoa Outreach Programs: Proposal for Remote Access to CD
ROM-Based Library Information Databases, Alternative Delivery Fund
Grant,1991, 50% (funded)
- Annual report, Desktop Network Services department,
fiscal years 2000, 1999.
- Library Staff Training Ad Hoc Committee: drafted and prepared
two training questionnaires which were distributed to all staff, 1998.
- "Digital Resources and Automation Special Projects" (20%) of
Library Systems Department Annual Report, fiscal year 1998
- "Proposal For Support Of UHM Library Digitizing Projects" and
"UHM Library Special Collections Potential Digitizing Projects"
presented to Library Administration, 1997
- CARL User Group Steering Committee FAQ: wrote and posted to
User Group web page, 1997
- Systems Office departmental web pages: wrote/created, coded,
mounted the first set of informational documents for department and
library-wide use, 1996
- "UHM Library Systems Office Annual Report" fiscal years
1995-1990, co-author (40%).
- "Email Dissemination of Circulation Notices From the UHCARL
System" report to Library Administration, 1994, co-author (40%)
- Systems Office operations manuals and procedures, 1992-1996
- "Faculty Due Date Change Procedure"
- "Terminal Guide" (50% co-author and editor)
- "UHCARL Operations Manual" (20% co-author and editor)
- "UHCARL Applications Manual" (20% co-author and editor)
- "Policies and Procedures for Acquisition and Support of
Microcomputer Hardware and Software for use by Library Staff", 1992
- "University of Hawaii at Manoa, Review and Prioritization,
Level VI, Systems Unit Criteria Review", December 1992, co-author (40%)