Yager Stadium -- home of Miami University football since the 1983 season -- is officially Fred C. Yager Stadium. The 25,183-seat stadium on Bonham Road in Oxford was dedicated Oct. 1, 1983. Western Michigan spoiled the ceremonies, winning the game 30-28 on a 45-yard field on the last play of the game. Yager, a 1914 Miami graduate who died in 1974, was an investment counselor and broker in Dayton. His generosity was the basis for the $12 million complex which also included practice fields and other sports facilities. Yager Stadium replaced Miami Field, home of Redskins football team from 1896 through 1982.
In the first game, Oct. 17, 1896, Miami defeated Earlham, 26-0. It was called the Athletic Park in 1896. Miami Field was located at the northwest corner of Patterson Avenue and High Street. The final game there, the 334th at the site, was a 23-0 Miami victory over Central Michigan. It was played Saturday afternoon, Nov. 6, 1982. Miami Field seated 7,240 in 1928 and in its final years the official capacity was listed as 14,900. In its final season, Miami Field was the second oldest site of collegiate football still being used. At that time, the oldest was Franklin Field in Philadelphia, home of the University of Pennsylvania.