Windisch Home or Conrad Windisch Home, formerly at 3710 Port Union Road, Fairfield, was part of a rural estate of a Cincinnati brewer. In 1866 Conrad Windisch, with Gottlieb and Henry Muhlauser, founded the Windisch-Muhlauser Brewery. It was reorganized in 1882 as the Lion Brewery, and in the 1880s was regarded as Cincinnati's second largest brewery. It was the first to use ice machines to chill its brew. Later it became the Burger Brewery Co." The brick Victorian home, built in the 1880s, was described in a 2003 article in the Cincinnati Enquirer as having "countless feet of highly detailed woodwork, 12-foot ceilings, numerous 10-foot walnut doors, 50-plus windows, and seven original fireplaces."
The two-story house includes a full basement with a brick floor and three rooms, five large bedrooms, two bathrooms, a country kitchen and a formal dining room, living room and parlor, according to the Enquirer. In 2003 the house was located on five acres on the north side of Port Union between Ohio 4 Bypass and Seward Road. His property in rural Fairfield Twp. would have been enjoyed by his large family. In 1854 Windisch had married Sophia Wilhemine Kobmann, who was from his native village in Bavaria. They were the parents of seven children. He died in 1887. Windisch was born March 6, 1825, in Bavaria, and at age 13 started working in a brewery. He arrived in New York Feb. 1, 1849, and worked in breweries in Pittsburgh, Belleville, Ill., and St. Louis before finding similar employment in Cincinnati in the early 1850s. He was a partner in a small brewery, starting in 1854. In September 1866, Windisch sold his interest to his partner and formed another partnership with Gottleib Muhlhauser and Henry Muhlhauser. Their brewery was on Liberty, Wade and 15th streets with frontage of 1,100 feet on both sides of the Miami-Erie Canal. By the mid 1990s, the company shipped to 10 states, and production increased from 20,000 barrels in its first year to 175,000 barrels in 1892. (See Muhlhauser, Hauck-Windisch farms, Moerlein Farm and Beckett Park.)