West Liberty -- on the site of Poasttown, Poast Town or Post Town -- was in Madison Township, north of Middletown and the Great Miami River. Poast Town was laid out by Peter Poast in 1818. A post office was established Aug. 22, 1848, as Poast Town, on or about the same place. West Liberty also was platted in 1818 where Christian Coon had been operating a tavern. The name change was required in 1848 when a post office was sought because there already was a West Liberty in Logan County.