West Chester -- on Cincinnati-Dayton Road in West Chester Township -- was originally Mechanicsburg. It was platted in 1817 by Hezekiah Smith. The first post office was established April 1, 1824, as Chester. It was changed to West Chester Oct. 2, 1826. It sometimes has been spelled as one word, Westchester. Some sources say it was first known as Hogtown because farmers in the vicinity raised so many hogs.