Virginia Military District shared a boundary (the Little Miami River) with the Miami Purchase, also known as the Symmes Purchase. That part of neighboring Warren County east of the Little Miami River was in the VMD. "Although Virginia gave up most of its claim to western lands before passage of the Northwest Ordinance of 1787, the state had kept an area of land in the Northwest Territory called the Virginia Military District," the Ohio Historical Society explained. "The territory was bordered by the Ohio River to the South, the Little Miami River to the west, and the Scioto River on the east and north. The state used these lands as payment to Virginia's Revolutionary War veterans.
"The first settlement in the Virginia Military District was Massie's Station [later Manchester, Ohio], but the community of Chillicothe was also organized quickly. Many Virginians settled in the region, in some cases having to give up slaves in order to move to Ohio. The Northwest Ordinance did not allow slavery in the territory. George Washington was eligible for land in the district but never applied for a land patent. Virginia eventually gave back to the United States government any lands that had not been claimed by veterans. The government then gave the land to the state of Ohio." (See Northwest Territory, Land Ordinance of 1785, Northwest Ordinance, Miami Purchase and Warren County)