Village Green was announced as a planned unit development (PUD) on the 120-acre former McCormack farm south and west of the southwest intersection of Nilles Road and Pleasant Avenue (U. S. 127) and a westward extension of Wessel Drive in Fairfield. As planned, the tract -- often described as Fairfield's "downtown, "town center" and "the city's 21st century downtown -- includes retail and office structures, restaurants, a new Lane Library branch and a variety of housing. In June 1993, Fairfield adopted a Town Center Development Plan, focusing on the area around the Nilles-Pleasant intersection, once known as Symmes Corner (see separate entry) and formerly the site of the Fairfield Powerhouse (see entry). The mixed use Village Green complex was described in 2001 as including 160 single family houses, 45 acres of commercial and institutional space and about 25 acres of open space. First to open -- Sept. 1, 2001 -- was the $4.87 million Lane Library, 1485 Corydale Drive, covering 25,000 square feet.
The Fairfield Community Arts Center also is part of the Village Green development. As planned, the 40,000 square foot complex on 4.8 acres on Wessel Drive was to include a 250-seat theater, arts and crafts rooms, classrooms, dance and fitness studio, senior lounge and children's activity area. Sept. 8, 2003, Fairfield City Council approved six contracts totaling about $8.5 million. Later it was reported as a $10.2 million and a $10.3 million project. Groundbreaking was held Sept. 22, 2003. Opening events were May 7, 2005.