Vaughan was one of several names for the community now known as Shandon.
Others have included Paddy's Run, New London, Cambria and Glendower. The post office established June 10, 1831, as Paddy's Run was changed Oct. 16, 1879, to Vaughan, probably in honor of William Vaughan, the town's first postmaster.
It was changed back to Paddy's Run Jan. 18, 1888. John Vaughan and family came to the area from Carno parish in Montgomeryshire, North Wales. "He made the first payment on the east half of Section 25, Morgan Township, Nov. 8, 1801," wrote Stephen Riggs Williams. "The Paddy's Run which gave the name to the settlement and later to the post office, ran diagonally through his farm from northwest to southeast." His son, William, became postmaster of Paddy's Run June 10, 1831. William Vaughan married Mary Bebb, a daughter of pioneers Edward and Margaret Bebb and a sister of William Bebb, the future Ohio governor.