Thomson Park -- first known as Camp Chapaco -- was an outdoor recreation and social area for employees of Champion International, formerly the Champion Paper & Fibre Company. The camp started in the summer of 1948 as Camp Chapaco on 38 acres recently purchased by the paper company. The camp, operated by the Champion Employees Association, was later enlarged and renamed in honor of the Thomson family that founded the paper company in 1893. It is on Hamilton-Richmond Road (Ohio 177) west of Hamilton in Hanover Twp. Champion closed it at the end of the 1995 summer season and offered the land for sale in 1997.
The park was sold at auction June 6, 1998, for $500,000 to Leroy and Suzanne Brown who donated it to their church, Immanuel Lutheran. It was sold to the Freedom Christian Center in September 2003. The Bobby Grove Evangelistic Association planned to [develop] the Freedom Christian Center Park on the property.