Butler County Place Names‎ > ‎T‎ > ‎

Thomas Select School

Thomas Select School, 3637 Millville-Shandon Road (Ohio 748), Shandon, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. The web site of the Ohio Historic Preservation Office of the Ohio Historical Society, says the building, also known as the Log Manse, "is significant as an early, although altered, Ohio log structure. It has further significance as a very early southwest Ohio school. It is not known if the structure was originally built as a school, but by 1820, it housed the Thomas Select School, a private boarding school where students were taught grammar, math and science. Local girls also went to the school to be taught plain and ornamental sewing. The school was operated by the Whitewater Congregational Church, later known as the Paddy's Run Congregational Church. In 1820 the Rev. Thomas Thomas from England immigrated to this country and was appointed co-pastor of the church. Under his leadership and scholarship the school achieved wide acceptance and high scholastic standards. The building was also used by Rev. Thomas as his Manse when he became full pastor. Church services were sometimes held in the school as well as in private dwellings until 1823 when a new meeting house for the church was established on a different site. The building continued to function as a school and manse for a number of years. In 1885 the school and approximately two acres of land were sold by the trustees of the congregation to Josephine Robinson. It remained with the Robinson family until 1947." (See Shandon.)


Return to Index
Comments