Symmes Corner also has been known as Symmes Corners, Symmes City, Union Corners and Symmes. It is at the intersection of Nilles Road and Pleasant Avenue (U. S. 127) in Fairfield. Celadon Symmes bought the land from his uncle, John Cleves Symmes, in 1795 and prepared for the settlement. A post office was established April 10, 1843. During the Civil War (1861-1865), in a demonstration of patriotism, it was renamed Union Corners from May 31, 1861, until Jan. 28, 1864. It was once the site of a powerhouse and car barns for area traction lines (interurban) after service started between Hamilton and Mount Healthy in 1898. The powerhouse and the car barns were on the west side of Pleasant Avenue and south of Nilles Road. The road was named for the Charles Nilles family which once lived in what later was known as Symmes Tavern on the northeast corner.