Stockton -- now in Fairfield -- began as Jones or Jones Station. It was platted in April 1883 by Oliver Treudly (a postmaster there), Thomas H. Kirk, Abram Seaman (or Seamen), Elizabeth Leather and H. L. Huls and recorded Sept. 1, 1885. It was west of Seward Road (then Cooper Road) and between the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railroad and Springfield Pike (now Dixie Hwy. and Ohio 4). The CH&D built a station at the Seward Road crossing on land owned by John D. Jones after the railroad opened in 1851. A post office opened April 25,. 1856, as Jones Station, but changed Nov. 29, 1882, to Jones, and a few weeks later, Dec. 20, 1882, to Stockton. It reverted back to Jones June 4, 1883, and to Stockton again Oct. 24, 1883, until it was discontinued May 15, 1922.
The Stockton School was at the southeast corner of Ross Road and Dixie Highway (Ohio 4). That intersection was closed in 1995 to form a direct connection between Ohio 4 Bypass and Ross Road.