Shriver Center -- at the southeast corner of Spring Street and Maple Avenue in Oxford -- was completed in 1957 and first known as the Miami University Center and as the Student Union. It includes meeting rooms, lounges, recreation areas, food services including the 1809 dining room, a book store and gift shop, and offices. It was renamed the Shriver Center in honor Dr. Phillip R. Shriver, Miami's 16th president from 1965 until 1981 and a Miami teacher after retiring from the presidency. The center contains the Heritage Room Mural, a 70-foot portrayal of Miami's first 150 years. It is the work of Edwin Fulwider, an art professor and department chair from 1940 through 1968.