Seven Mile was first known as Utica. It was laid out in 1841 on land owned by Robert Brand, who operated a sawmill and distillery. In 1838, John Walters bought 40 acres, and in 1841 he laid out the town. It was platted by John L. Ritter Oct. 20, 1851. The name was changed to Seven Mile because there was another Utica in Ohio. The new name was taken from Seven Mile Creek (see next entry), which is a few yards west of the community. The village was incorporated in 1857. A post office was established Oct. 26, 1838, with John Boliard (or Bolyard) as postmaster. Seven Mile was an overnight stop for some traders and travelers who used the Hamilton, Rossville, Summerville (Somerville), Newcome (Camden) and Eaton Turnpike. It has been built through the town in 1833 and 1834 under the leadership of John Woods, a Hamilton businessman, politician and civic leader. The village grew after completion of the Eaton & Hamilton Railroad in 1852 (now Norfolk Southern). The Eaton & Hamilton was chartered in 1847. Its route was laid out in the winter of 1849 by John W. Erwin and Henry S. Earhart of Hamilton. Songwriter Benjamin R. Hanby was a Seven Mile resident at the start of the Civil War, arriving in 1859 to become principal of a private academy. Hanby's most familiar works were "Up on the Housetop," a Christmas song, "Darling Nelly Gray" and "Ole Shady." The latter was an anti-slavery song which cost Hanby his job in Seven Mile because of objections by an academy trustee.