Reily Township was the eighth township formed in Butler County. It was created Dec. 7, 1807, by Butler County commissioners. The land was taken from St. Clair Township. It was named in honor of John Reily, who came to the Northwest Territory after military service during the American Revolution. He first resided at Columbia, the first settlement in the Symmes Purchase, where he doubled as a teacher and Indian fighter. Reily was involved in writing the constitution which led to Ohio statehood in 1803 before coming to Hamilton, where he held numerous public offices and was involved in the growth of Hamilton, Rossville and Miami University.