Butler County Place Names‎ > ‎O‎ > ‎

Opera House

Opera House was at 221 High Street, southeast corner of High Street and Journal Square (formerly Riley Street). The 1,200-seat theater was on the third floor. The building had 72-foot frontage on High Street. It was built and opened in 1866 by Walter Dixon and known as Dixon's Opera House. By 1871, it had been renamed the Globe Opera House. It was usually listed in city directories as the Opera House. It hosted famous lecturers and civic meetings and was the city's leading playhouse for dramatic and musical productions until it closed Jan. 6, 1904. First-floor retail businesses have included the Robinson-Schwenn Co. (1907-1964), Mabley and Carew (1964-1977) and the Dollar General Store (1980-1992). Renovation started in 1997 for offices on upper floors and retail at street level. (For more information, see pp. 55-56 in Flashbacks, by Jim Blount, published 1995.)


Return to Index
Comments