Okeana is in Morgan Township on Ohio 126 (Cincinnati-Brookville Road). It was named after the daughter of an Indian chief, Kiatti, from whom nearby Kiatti Creek was named. Okeana was laid out by Benjamin Lloyd. A post office was established Jan. 14, 1828, as Tariff and changed May 27, 1859, to Okeana.
Later it was on the Cincinnati, Richmond & Muncie Railroad.