Notre Dame Academy or Notre Dame High School, 926 South Second Street, northeast corner of South Second and Hanover streets, Hamilton, was added to National Register of Historic Places in 2001. Three sisters of Notre Dame started a mission in Hamilton May 11, 1869. They formed the faculty of St. Joseph parish school. In 1872 land was purchased at the northeast corner of South Second and Hanover streets where a convent was built. In 1887 the sisters opened an academy at the site with 16 pupils and graduated three students in 1890. In 1901 the school was known as Notre Dame Academy, a Catholic school for girls from kindergarten through high school. It was renamed Notre Dame High School in 1926. Its last graduating class, with 110 members, was in 1966.
Notre Dame -- which expanded several times to total 53,000 square feet in five stories -- graduated more than 2,500 young women during its service. Later in 1966, Stephen T. Badin High School opened at 571 New London Road in Hamilton, combining the former Notre Dame (female) and Hamilton Catholic (male) high schools. The new coed school reported 975 students (499 girls, 476 boys) on opening day Sept. 9, 1966. Notre Dame High School became the Notre Dame Education Center, housing several social service agencies, including Head Start classes. May 15, 1981, the Sisters of Notre Dame sold the property to the Pilgrim Baptist Church for $110,000. Transformation to housing for senior citizens began in 2000 with federal and state funds acquired through the City of Hamilton. The $3.3 million 61-unit Nathaniel Sherman Jr. Manor was dedicated April 28, 2002. The complex was named in honor of Sherman, a local civil rights leader and the city's first director of human relations.