New Miami also has been known as Otto, Coke Otto and Kokotto. The name was changed to New Miami in January 1929 when the village was incorporated. The town started in 1900 with the development of the Hamilton Otto Coke Company, which manufactured gas for distribution in the City of Hamilton. New Miami expanded with the opening of the Hamilton Iron and Steel Company (later part of Armco). Also see New River Junction and Coke Otto.